Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sage the "ONE" new fly rod

Default Sage the "ONE" new fly rod

Sneak preview of the new model, the "ONE" fly rod...

See the Article here: http://midcurrent.com/2011/06/23/sag...e-one-fly-rod/

Geez, there's a lot of big tecnological words in there...impressive...

Also, seems they moved away from the Hopkins & Holloway stripping guides, if you look at the pic.

"In August/September 2011, Sage Manufacturing will be launching The ONE rod series.

The ONE rod is the first fly rod to take advantage of Sage’s groundbreaking Konnetic technology.

Konnetic technology, the most recent evolution in fly rod innovation, uses new materials combined with pioneering manufacturing methods and processes. This technology incorporates an optimized ratio of Sage’s proprietary resin to exclusive high modulus aerospace-grade carbon fiber.

The latest construction methods include Sage’s Advanced Modulus Positioning System (AMPS); a process that precisely aligns and positions carbon fiber materials to exacting tolerances for the greatest blank strength, delivering extremely efficient energy transfer throughout the shaft. Using Sage’s High Compression Molding process, carbon fibers are compacted for optimum density and precise alignment while simultaneously fusing the 50 percent lighter all-carbon fiber inner core.

The ONE offers exceptional tracking with virtually no lateral or torsional movement, resulting in what Sage claims is unparalleled casting accuracy.

The inherent strength of Konnetic technology allows ONE rods to have a smaller diameter as well as weigh 25 percent lighter than comparable Sage rods. These attributes combine to provide augmented aerodynamic efficiency.

Further innovations are the 70 percent lighter, low profile ferrules that help direct and carry energy through the rod without sacrificing strength, critical action and feel.

“The ONE rod becomes a true extension of the angler’s arm,” notes Sage Chief Rod Designer, Jerry Siem. “It offers a more fluid transmission of energy from the arm to the fly. The eye sees the cast it wants to make and is translated to the hand through the rod instantaneously.”

The fast-action ONE rod family is intended for all fishing conditions thanks to a list of high-end features. A custom cork handle is fashioned in a snub-nose, half-wells grip on the 3 through 6 weights and a full-wells handle with fighting butt on the saltwater capable 6 through 10-weights. Each handle is designed to match the exact taper of the rod providing even greater sensitivity and feel.

Other details include the Sage-designed round eye tip-top which never pinches or binds the line, allowing the caster to mend and cast in any direction with full control.

On the 3 through 6-weights, the elegant walnut insert is perfectly married with the bronze anodized aluminum reel seat. Saltwater weights feature all anodized reel seat components.

The ONE Rod comes in a new black ice color, which has a translucent finish and is complemented by black guide wraps and bronze trim wraps. Each rod comes with a powder-coated aluminum rod tube with Sage medallion and a hand-made rod sock.

“The ONE Rod is smooth and precise with an intentionally forgiving ‘sweet spot’ that complements widely diverse casting styles,” says Eric Gewiss, Sage’s Marketing Manager. “This helps the angler make a full range of close-in and long distance casts that hit the mark with equal ease. Being able to feel exactly what the line is doing through all stages of the cast gives anglers ultimate control so they can make the micro-adjustments needed to place the fly precisely where it’s wanted.”

Already award winning, the ONE rod has been recognized as the “Best New Fly Rod” at EFTTEX 2011. Award ceremonies were held last week at the EFTTEX show in Amsterdam.

The ONE rod will be available at Sage authorized retail locations in August / September 2011 with a selection of 22 single hand models. ONE rods range from 3 through 10-weights and will be priced from $715 to $740."

Says Gene from AA OUtfitters:

(Seems like one (scuze the pun) rod to look forward to)

"I HAD THE VERY PRIVELEGED OPPORTUNITY TO CAST THE NEW SAGE “ONE” FLY ROD A FEW DAYS AGO. I’M LUCKY TO BE AMONG THE FIRST TO SEE AND CAST THESE AWESOME NEW SAGE RODS. THESE ALL-WATER, FAST ACTION RODS USE GROUND-BREAKING TECHNOLOGIES PROVIDING SMOOTH PRECISE ACCURACY, CONTROL AND FEEL. FOR CASTING EASE AND ACCURACY AT ALL RANGES, FOR ALL CASTERS. PERHAPS THE ULTIMATE FLY ROD.

AS FAR AS MY PERSONAL “TAKE” ON THE ROD, I FOUND IT TO BE AS ADVERTISED. A FAST ACTION ROD WITH AN EXTREMELY LIGHT FEEL. SUPER ACCURATE AND SMOOTH. ABLE TO HELP CAST GREAT DISTANCE. AMONG THE BEST RODS I’VE EVER TRIED!

WE’LL BE GETTING A DEMO ROD IN THE SHOP AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. THESE RODS ARE NOT IN SAGE’S INVENTORY AT THIS TIME BUT I’LL GET THEM AS SOON AS POSSIBLE FOR SALE. WE’LL TAKE “PRE-ORDERS” ON THESE AWESOME RODS FOR THOSE WHO WANT ONE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AND DON’T WANT TO WAIT.

GENE ERCOLANI"

We shall see when it arrives, if it lives up to all this hype. I'm looking forward to it.

There can be only "ONE"

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    There can be only "ONE"
    So get ready to chuck all your other fly rods away, Neil...

Interesting thing, is it seems Sage went a bit "cheaper" on the components.
    Walnut insert, which is not the most expensive wood.
    Aluminium reelseat, anodised bronze....as opposed to Nickel Silver like on the Z-Axis.
    Still great components though, nothing wrong.

Maybe Sage and Struble had a bit of a fall-out....

I like the reelseat though, looks great.
    Last edited by Michael; 29-06-11 at 01:36 PM.

Probably won't be for me Mike. Not for streams anyway. I prefer a medium action rod (read ZXL) for streams. I had a Z-axis 3wt which was not for me. For distance casting (estuaries and salt) I like the fast stuff, but for accuracy and delicate presentations I like the slower stuff.

I get amused when I read the marketing blurb these guys put out. Add something to your carbon pre-preg and then "brand" that. Sintrix etc etc. Then claim that to be the next best thing!

Still, it will probably be a winner due to the emblem.

Some nice high res pics here
    Bryan Williams

My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!

Check out my albums

Neil, have you fished any decent 9 foot 3wt's?
    I'm thinking of making one up for larger river, but which contain mostly fish up to 1.5kg or so.
    5wt is a bit overkill...and the 3wt, 8 footers I have are not as versatile as the 9 footers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Some nice high res pics here
    Shot Bryan.

EDIT: That rod is crying out to be customised....
    Looks a bit "dull"...can use some OEMF!
    Last edited by Michael; 29-06-11 at 02:23 PM.

Mike

No, I have'nt. But there are forum members far more qualified than I to answer that. (drum roll.....enter GGY). I have NEVER found a 3wt that really works for me. 4wt, yes. Any number of 2wt's. My current favourite stream rods are the ZXL's and I use my 8'4wt 90% of the time down here in the Cape.

Blog Entries

So it is Sage Konnetic technology Vs Hardy SINTRIX Technology.

Wonder if 3m was responsible for both

And there I thought Stealth had the market covered with their Nano Technology

PS. I'll still have the Hardy thank you....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast