Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New 5 weight...

Default New 5 weight...

Hey guys,
    looking to get a new 5 weight (fast action), but nothing to pricey. I have been quite interested in the Xplorer Guide 2, any comment on it? And also the Wychwood Aura. Any info will be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
    Nick

im also looking at a 4weight Xplorer Guide 2 because i have a 6weight and im looking for something a bit lighter. so im in the same boat as you....
    Gert Ferreira

"There is certainly something in fishing that tends to produce a gentleness of spirit, a pure serenity of mind."

~by Washington Irving~

I have been stuck with a 6/7 weight, and its not exactly the best for dry-fly or nymph work...

Hi Nick,

I have heard very good things about the Echo range of rods. I do not know much about them and have not tried them personally but a lot of guys here in the WC are very impressed with them.

I have no idea how they compare price wise (seems like i don't know a lot! ) with the Xplorers, but you can contact Eikendal about prices and possibly giving them a cast. I saw Upstream also had a 12wt but not sure if they carry all the ranges though.

Cheers
    Grant.
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Many thanks for the information Grant! I have checked out the echo range as i am often up at eikendal, drooling at the peices of art on those racks, and love the way they cast! but unfortunately, its out of my price range, but i would love to own one

Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by fishlover1 View Post
    I have been stuck with a 6/7 weight, and its not exactly the best for dry-fly or nymph work...
    A little over-powered for small streams I''d say!!!
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

mark Banned User

what the application? for nymphing you can not go less than 10ft!!

Sensation Tepest at R300 and something should serve you well as long as it
    doesn't break. Had one as an el-cheapo back-up and it did break. Took it back to where I bought it. After numerous calls, drive-outs,etc. I just told them to keep it and not bother further. How long? 6 Months with yada-yada-yada. I am not the one to comment on Xploder nor Stealth as I have no knowledge of these brands.

I can comment on a few relative unknown brands like Sage, Scott, Hardy, TFO and a few others.

The TFOs bridge the gap nicely between the cheaper local brands and the more pricey international ones.

The TFO Professional is very reasonably priced (around the same as the Wychwood) and I know quite a few guys who are very happy with this rod but I have not personal experience of it.

Then the TFO Jim Teeny is possibly just a touch more and is excellent value for money. I have two of these in different weights and they are a real pleasure. Very smooth, crisp action, sensitive tip and a decent amount of stength in the butt.

I also have an Xplorer Guide 2 in a 3 weight and that is also a pretty nice rod but prefer my TFOs.
    Bryan Williams

ďMy Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!Ē

Check out my albums

The guide,which i own is a very nice rod but not really all that FAST,especially compared to my stcroix legend elite.I also find the guide does not have the oomph when nymphing multiple flies and with a slight breeze it becomes a bit of a chore.Other than that its a very nice rod,it all depends on application.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast