Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cheap alternative to tungsten?

Default Cheap alternative to tungsten?

Hi guys.
    If you are like me you will have noticed that tungsten beads are becoming increasingly expensive to a redicules extent. It is as though tungsten has become a precious metal.

Anyway I started thingking of an alternative. I came up with split shot. After a few experiments I found that it is only really a good alternative for jigs. You can either use it on a jig hook by putting some superglue or epoxy on the bent bit in front and then crimping it closed or if you don't have jig hooks you can crimp it onto a peice of line and tie it into the fly. You can paint it whatever colour you want with nail varnish.

Of course it is not perfectly semetrical like beads, but I actually quite like the look. As far as I know as long as you glue it to the hook so that it cannot be removed it is perfectly legal in competition, even according to FIPS rules. I have not read through the booklet of rules to check it so please correct me if I am wrong.

Split shot is cheaper and heavier than tungsten. On the other hand it is not as "pretty" as tungsten.

Here are some examples of what you can do. The black WB is #10, the PTN #16 and the orange fluffy thing is #8. Sorry about the picture quality, but on the black WB the splitshot is painted red. I am not incredibly good at extreme close ups. Please share your ideas and feel free to hate it. splitshot1.jpg
    splitshot2.jpgsplitshot3.jpg

Dave
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Those splitshots give the flies a more buggy appearance, great job Dave, very creative!
    Nick

Here are some better pics.
    splitshot4.jpg

splitshot5.jpg

splitshot6.jpg

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dtayl13 View Post
    Here are some better pics.
    splitshot4.jpg

splitshot5.jpg

splitshot6.jpg
    Just cant understand why you guys do not join the Bonanza!!!???? here we are looking at individual tying. Not professional skills, new ideas come from beginners etc.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

OK I'll join.

mark Banned User

nice, but your flies are not weighted properly,,too much head weight,,,,, head planting, balance your weight near the shank to let your fly drift naturally

Default Legal or Not under FIPS Rules

David,

Im just not sure if the use of split is legal under Fips Mouche rules for competition fishing. The same argument can arise as with the use of a brassie. Adding and removing of weight.A split shot is can be removed. Lets put it to the forum as Im not sure on this one. Copy rules below from FIPS. Another problem is lead can discolour your fly.

ARTICLE 28: COMPETITION FLIES.
    28.1. Competitors may use floating or sinking artificial flies.
    28.2. Each fly must be dressed on a single hook, without limit as to size.
    28.3. The length of the dressed fly will be at the discretion of the competitor.
    28.4. Weighted flies are permitted, provided the weight is hidden within the dressing. A single visible bead, not more than 4 mm in its maximum dimension, is also permitted. Painting alone does not constitute dressing.
    28.5. A maximum of three flies is permitted which must not be closer to each other than fifty cm, measured eye to eye, hanging freely.
    28.6. All flies must be attached to the leader in such a way that neither they nor their droppers move or slide along the leader material.
    28.7. All flies must be dressed on hooks which are barbless or de-barbed.
    There is 7 times more water than land! Surely The Lord meant man to fish 7 times more than work!

Tungsten is around 70% denser than lead so even with the countersunk or slotted portion of the beads "missing" they're still heavier than splitshot of the same size.
    Check your knots!

Tungsten has an atomic mass of 183 and lead 207. Lead is therefore heavier. If not I can't understand why my woolly bugger with 4mm split shot sank faster than the same fly with 4mm tungsten.

In terms of competition if you simply crimp the splitshot onto the hook it is going to come off after 3 casts so you have to glue it in place anyway. You can therefore not remove it from the hook which makes me think it is legal for competition. Think of splitshot as lead slotted beads.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dtayl13 View Post
    Tungsten has an atomic mass of 183 and lead 207. Lead is therefore heavier. If not I can't understand why my woolly bugger with 4mm split shot sank faster than the same fly with 4mm tungsten.

In terms of competition if you simply crimp the splitshot onto the hook it is going to come off after 3 casts so you have to glue it in place anyway. You can therefore not remove it from the hook which makes me think it is legal for competition. Think of splitshot as lead slotted beads.
    Or you can just buy the gold "plated" lead beads??
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast