Thread: "Moggels"

Default "Moggels"

Looking for more info on this fish. Here in the Bloem area the local water ways are "frot" with this fish but just don't try to catch one. They will not take conventional "pap gooi" and are very frustrating when out with the long rod. They just seem to lie around in the sun and ignore anything on offer. Tried nearly every fly in my box from a nymph to the tried and tested San juan worm. These fish are also referred to on occasion as "kalwer koppe" look something like a fresh water mullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald B View Post
    Looking for more info on this fish. Here in the Bloem area the local water ways are "frot" with this fish but just don't try to catch one. They will not take conventional "pap gooi" and are very frustrating when out with the long rod. They just seem to lie around in the sun and ignore anything on offer. Tried nearly every fly in my box from a nymph to the tried and tested San juan worm. These fish are also referred to on occasion as "kalwer koppe" look something like a fresh water mullet.
    I bet they give a good fight too. Try something in moving water if possible. Like the head of a pool where the water flows in..like an algae fly or something...

Paul

Interesting up in my part of the world moggels are a piece of pie. I pick them up with standard check nymphing, normally on the swing or as you "lift out" - 99% of them are taken just below the surface. They fight like champions, dirty wrap-you-around-everything-swim-for-the-trees champions, but champions none the less.

Good flies for them were very bright ptn hotspots, not you normal "dull" store bought versions. I actually used to paint the hotspot with flouro orange model paint to get it as bright as possible.

Last edited by jock0; 05-04-07 at 12:26 PM. Reason: added pic
    Check your knots!