Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8-weight shootout

Default 8-weight shootout

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/8we...te.SageXi3.asp

As Michael said vis the 5-weight shootout, this is very interesting. The magazines seldom if ever make critical comments about flyfishing equipment, or place them in comparative context. So I welcome these comparisons.

Good news for the TFO BVK fans, second place (at a third of the price of a G. Loomis NRX) in the overall rankings and tie fourth (along with the Sage Xi3) in the performance-only rankings.
    Last edited by Stephen Louw; 18-07-11 at 02:10 AM.

Yep...check out the TFO BVK....2nd overall, very impressive.
    Nice to see the VXP also beat out some more expensive rods.

PS: With the BVK, it scored LOW in the craftmanship! Scored a 7/10...which is not BAD, but could be better.
    Imagine, if you build it yourself, and improve the craftmanship/looks...it will score like 3 points higher. Making the G. Loomis win by a single point.

Good shootout this...and the results will be similar for 7wt's and 9wt's too I reckon.

Pics courtesy of YellowStone Angler

Last edited by Michael; 18-07-11 at 07:53 AM.

What was also interesting was how low the new Hardy Proaxis scored in the 4-piece format.

By contrast, they rated the 1-piece Proaxis the best 8-weight on the market, although the survey only looked at 4-piece travel rods. As George Anderson remarked, clearly Hardy need to do some tinkering with the 4-piece formula before it matches the performance of the Zenith (the other rod in its Proaxis line).

You should try the Zenith one day Mike. Its quite impressive

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Louw View Post
    You should try the Zenith one day Mike. Its quite impressive
    I know!! We will still make a plan...very keen. Also trying to get my CTS Affinity MX done sometime, can try that one too.

Glad to see StCroix still up there with the best,and at half the price too.

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    Yep...tell you what, St. Croix is a very under-rated rod by many fly fishers. It's actually a very good rod brand.
    Same with Redington...excellent rod, at a good price.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    A guy from Sage is working there now, no reason to be surprised
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Everytime I see something about the BVK I think of building one with an 'e' and an 'o' in the logo. Would be pretty funny to tell people you fish a "TFO BeVoK"
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

I can give a bit of a mini review of the TFO BVK as I went and cast my new 7 weight BVK this weekend for the first time. I must say it took a bit of getting used to at first but once I had worked my timing out it was casting beautifully and very accurately. The fast action is a little less forgiving than some of my other rods.

The finish is much, much better than the other TFOs but still not quite up there with some of the more expensive competitors so a 7/10 is probably justified. The rubber accents on the grip are pretty cool and I really like the woven graphite reel seat. The reel seat fittings are very nice and the recoil guides are awesome. As Mike says a custom on this blank would be both affordable and pretty amazing.

I was incredibly surprised at how light this rod is...apparently it is 42% lighter than the Axiom.

It was also the first time I had cast my two new lines. My floater is a Scinetific Anglers GPX and my Intermediate is a Cortland Little Tunny. I was very impressed with both.

The GPX has quite a bit of punch with very good presentation and no memory to speak of. Didnt even have to stretch it prior to casting. Very nice line and happy with the purchase.

The Little Tunny is superb - very supple with barely any memory (which was a bit of a worry as I got it out of the bargain bin at Mias) and shoots like a cannon. This is by far the best intermediate line I have ever cast and you really get the feel that you may need all 120' of it
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I can give a bit of a mini review of the TFO BVK as I went and cast my new 7 weight BVK this weekend for the first time. I must say it took a bit of getting used to at first but once I had worked my timing out it was casting beautifully and very accurately. The fast action is a little less forgiving than some of my other rods.
    Howzit Bryan

What "other rods" of yours are you comparing it to?

Also, thanks for the feedback on the lines...seems that Cortland line could be a good option for people.

Cheers
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast