Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sage The One - Round Eye Tip

Default Sage The One - Round Eye Tip

Sage's advertorials for their new The One fly rod all boast about its round eye tip. Presumably this is in part responsible for some of its near mystical abilities which turn even remedial casters like myself into superhuman casting wizards. Clearly the slightly "off round" shape of the eye tips on my current rods are holding me back.

But marketing b*s aside, can anyone tell me why/whether this makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Louw View Post
    Sage's advertorials for their new The One fly rod all boast about its round eye tip. Presumably this is in part responsible for some of its near mystical abilities which turn even remedial casters like myself into superhuman casting wizards. Clearly the slightly "off round" shape of the eye tips on my current rods are holding me back.

But marketing b*s aside, can anyone tell me why/whether this makes a difference.
    What happens is, the resistance created by the 10h00 / 14h00 motion causes a phenominon know as Bollocks Vortex. When this occurs, it creats slight vibrations in the fly line throwing it off to side. As a result the line cannot shoot through all the guides properly which hampers your final cast.

This is rectified with the above mentioned rounded guide or eye on the rod.
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Bollocks Vortex

Sage's advertorials for their new The One fly rod all boast about its round eye tip.
    Hi Stephen

Please would you point us in the direction of this advertorial. We have the rod release documentation which we will post on our website with in the next few days, but would like to see what other information is available, from whom.

Regards

Hi Stephen

It makes no difference. What does make a difference is the SIZE of the tip-top loop, and the material it's made of.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier Fly Fishing View Post
    Hi Stephen

Please would you point us in the direction of this advertorial. We have the rod release documentation which we will post on our website with in the next few days, but would like to see what other information is available, from whom.

Regards
    See the blurb reproduced for their submission to the EFTTEX awards (they won their category): http://www.angling-international.com...-rod/sage-one/

And see also the fuller account/advertorial at: http://www.northcove.com/departments...e-one-rod.html

There we are told that "Other details include the Sage designed round eye tip-top which never pinches or binds the line, allowing the caster to mend and cast in any direction with full control"

I don't deny that often minor changes can sometimes make a significant difference. I am just interested to learn more about how/whether this particular shape of eye affects casting performance.
    Last edited by Stephen Louw; 26-07-11 at 04:25 PM.

Thanks Stephan

I am editing the release PDF at the moment and will have additional information for you shortly.

I think what might be missed is that Sage is pressing the envelope and have spent vast resources in developing this rod and thus are adding any and all benefits that allow the blank to perform to its optimum.

And, yes they are going to make some noise about it, but that's what has been created in the marketing age we live in.

So the round eye might only offer a 2 percent improvement in casting, but combined with new materials and other small improvements, the rod as a whole will offer a better package than it's predecessor.

Any way, we can't wait to cast it at the Fly Fishing Retailer Show in 3 weeks...

Regards

What is the "new" fuss about? These have been around for a while, and I have used some of them as well before.

http://www.guidesnblanks.com/product/6730

http://www.shofftackle.com/H&H_Roundeye_Tops.html
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    What happens is, the resistance created by the 10h00 / 14h00 motion causes a phenominon know as Bollocks Vortex. When this occurs, it creats slight vibrations in the fly line throwing it off to side. As a result the line cannot shoot through all the guides properly which hampers your final cast.

This is rectified with the above mentioned rounded guide or eye on the rod.
    Exactly the ''bollocks'' we expected from you, your vibrations numb my nuts. bhwaaaaewaa (silly man)
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier Fly Fishing View Post
    Thanks Stephan
    So the round eye might only offer a 2 percent improvement in casting ...
    He he. If George Anderson's 5-weight shootout (http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/Har...ightflyrod.asp) is correct, and my Hardy Zenith is 4.1% better than the Sage Z-Axis, then it is still 2.1% better than The One

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast