Thread: One fly challenge

Default One fly challenge

hi all,

saw this years ago and thought its an interesting idea, both for flytying and for a challenge.. (http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying...080805fotw.php )

"The Convertible was born from the need for a versatile One-Fly pattern. The Jackson Hole One-Fly competition [is a] prestigious event which allows an angler to fish one fly for each day of the contest. If you choose the wrong fly, your fly comes apart, or you lose it—you're out."

for this comp a guy called Scott Sanchez ties a 'convertible' fly, which using scissors, you can start off with as a streamer, then clip and into a stimulator, clip and its a caddis, clip and its a mayfly, clip to a spinner etc... So successful it was apparently banned from the comp!

A while back i tied up a monstrosity for the vaal - think green rockworm, with a elkhair wing and a olive marabou tail, which you can fish either as a caddis/attractor/streamer... wasn't a killer!

Anyway... If I had to fish the cape streams with one fly only i would be hard pressed not to take a elk hair/RAB/klinky!

I am taking this idea on this year.Every year i fish the vaal or orange i take so many varous patterns with i get absolutely confused.This year I have tied a caddis pattern in mustard,green and black (size 18,16,14,12)and 8 of each.So i will have one box with me and that better do.Not quite one fly,but one pattern.

Yea there lots of appeal for me to try and keep things simpler...

the extreme of this would be the traditional tenkara anglers. One guy has used only one pattern for the past 10 years! But I dont think that approach would 'work' here, due to angling pressure, diff water, matching the hatch etc...

still, makes you think!

http://www.tenkarabum.com/tenkara-flies.html