Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fly-tying tips 2011

Arrow Fly-tying tips 2011

I'm tying some Caddis flies this morning and thought I'd share this lil trick with you.

Something I started doing last year was to leave a my scud back a tad long so that it extends just over the bead. It protects the bead from chips due to bumps against rocks and what not.It is not 100% fail proof but it sure as hell beat additional steps like adding glue or UV knot on a simple tied fly.

Try it, your black head will remain black for a tad longer.

that is a neat little trick.
    PLUS, when you swing the caddis across and down from you, holding it down stream, the little "lip" creates lovely movement on the fly.
    I have always tied a couple with the lip for the movement, but never for the portection, will do a couple more this way.
    Thanks
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Default Injury on the job

This is not a joke nor am I trying to be funny.

I had a lil mishap last night whereby I cut myself pretty deep with blood flowing all over the place.The quickest way to stop the bleeding was to lift my thumb in the air above the heart AND to cover the wound with glue asap. I still had some tying to do so the "closed" wound enabled me to continue.

This morning the cut is half way closed.

Attachment 11178

No joke...my dad told about a bloke he works with...cut his finger badly..chucked some super glue in the wound and that was that...

Crazy...but it works
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

It's an old trick from the Vietnam War where they used super glue instead of stiches to close wounds.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Cyanoacrylate (Super Glue) was used in the Vietnam War to patch up soldiers before moving them for medical treatment. It is also used and was developed as a adhesive for veterinary use and gun sights originally.

Another thing to keep handy if you dont feel like glueing yourself back together is a bottle of "staaldruppels" it is essentially a clove extract that causes the blod to clot instantly. (It just burns like a mofo )

Note, use on clean cuts only - you don't want this stuff in open wounds!!! Press the cut closed, and apply the CA. Great stuff!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by markdej View Post
    Another thing to keep handy if you dont feel like glueing yourself back together is a bottle of "staaldruppels" it is essentially a clove extract that causes the blod to clot instantly. (It just burns like a mofo )
    Burns like a mofo is an understatement!

I'm tying a span of control flies at the moment, no where near Gerrit's quantities though, and the only tip I can add is try and incorporate adding your ribbing into the hook weighting "phase". I use dark brown mono as functional ribbing on most of my control flies and simply twist it around the hook shank before trapping it in place with the lead wire. Once I'm done wrapping the wire I add a coat of super glue to really lock everything in place. Saves a bit of time...
    Check your knots!

One thing I saw on one of Shammers' fly pics which I thought was a neat idea was to pop a small cube (5mm x 5mm x 5mm) of foam over the tip of the hook point while tying so if you do nick yourself against the hook point you don't get nailed.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast