Thread: Tradouws Pass

Default Tradouws Pass

While in Swllendam over easter I took a drive to the Tradouws pass as I was told its quite a scenic drive. It is absolutely beautiful. A river runs through this pass that made my mouth water. Stopping next to the road and looking down probably 200 + meters I saw awesome pools. On some I could see the sandy bottoms. Water was crystal clear. My questions is does anyone know what the river is called and what fish one will find in it ??

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    While in Swllendam over easter I took a drive to the Tradouws pass as I was told its quite a scenic drive. It is absolutely beautiful. A river runs through this pass that made my mouth water. Stopping next to the road and looking down probably 200 + meters I saw awesome pools. On some I could see the sandy bottoms. Water was crystal clear. My questions is does anyone know what the river is called and what fish one will find in it ??
    expedition time!!! who's in?!
    the patient mental...

The pass is about a 14km drive. So lots of river to explore. the best place to start would be on the other end, Barrydale side.

Ok just found out it is called the Buffeljags River. I know the Buffeljags Dam in Swellendam. Great spot. This is a fantastic river, its upper reaches here is really something special then. I plan to explore it. I'd say travel light as dont take anything along that cant get wet. Or at least water proof bags etc. I think you will have to swim some pools.

sounds really cool. any idea on species?
    the patient mental...

Quote Originally Posted by dpammenter View Post
    sounds really cool. any idea on species?
    The dam hold bass and unfortunately barbel to. They reckon they washed over from the Breede and now the bass population has dropped quite a bit. When you do pick up bass in the dam it will be big. I hope they didn't make it to the upper reaches. So my guess is it should hold bass as they have been in the lower system for much longer.

Has anyone fished this river yet?

Was always wondering what swims there.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

I know a farmer who lives in Heidelberg and asked him to ask the other farmers in the area for info becasue, as you say, it is beautiful looking water.

He chatted to the other farmers and got back to me that there are no fish as far as any of them are aware.

If you do decide to recce it, it would be interesting to hear about the results. The river on the Barrydale side of the pass looks a lot more accesible.
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    The dam hold bass and unfortunately barbel to. They reckon they washed over from the Breede and now the bass population has dropped quite a bit. When you do pick up bass in the dam it will be big. I hope they didn't make it to the upper reaches. So my guess is it should hold bass as they have been in the lower system for much longer.
    Here's a bit more info that I managed to dig up on the Buffeljags dam itself;

It is an acid dam, average pH of 5.6. The depth at the dam wall is 8metres and it has a surface area of 128 hectares. Some work has been done on the aquatic and semi-aquatic vegetation of the areas. No info is available on angling productivity except that largemouth bass are known to occur. The dam is controlled by the dept of Water Affairs and a permit for angling may be obtained from the Water Bailiff or from the nearest W.A. office.

Taking the above into account will give you a clue as to what you can expect in the river. You can certainly forget about finding trout there. Water is far too acid!

Regards
    Chris
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Booger Rose Banned User

Hi Pierre, I've seen that river and share your thoughts. Also don't think you will pick up trout, but maybe bass. Just past Barrydale over the Op de Tradouw pass on R62 there is trout dams I've fished. I think its called Bo-Vlakte. Nice water and nice strong trout.

I've also been thinking about the river going through Meiringspoort, took my rod one or two days to fish and - nothing!

The river going through Montagu holds nice bass and carp. Driving from Oudtshoorn to the Cape takes me longer than the average person, but I think I normally enjoy my trippies more than the other guys.

Hi guys

I drove allong this pass on Sunday and took one or two snaps of the river, at the places that I could stop and where I could actualy see the river.

It looks really stunning and from what I saw the part closest to Barrydale is very overgrown with weeds and looks almost stagnant. The river in the pass is flowing but is also very low, due to the very dry summer we are having.

It would be interesting to just go up that river and see whats swimming there.

Some pictures

Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za