Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barbel help

Default Barbel help

Hi guys

For a while in one of our farm dams I have been seeing really big rises. I managed to work out that it probably wasn't bass, but I didn't know what it was. Today when I went fishing there for bluegill to restock the swimming pool after a cormerant got in, I was walking along the bank and I got quite a skrik when I noticed a barbel of about 90cm staring me in the face about 1m from the bank. I managed to spook it while casting at it, and then saw it elsewhere along the bank about 4 more times in the next half hour. It is obviously sitting most of the day in very shallow water and it is easy to sight cast to. Only one question remains: how do I go about catching it? I have never fished for barbel on fly before and certainly never sight cast to them. Is it possible to catch them when they are just sitting by the bank?

Any info appreciated.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

"Catfish on Fly" is a great DVD if you can invest in it.

Should be 'easy' to catch; use a fairly large zonker style fly, or double bunny [use a decent hook], or just 2 zonker strips on top similar to a platanna's legs; the zonker, once wet, gives the fly it's weight. Just slap in down in the area of activity and wait; if you can see the actual catfish, try and place the fly on it's whiskers, set the hook once it takes the fly and then hold on and have a LOT of fun; they are powerful fish and will keep you busy on a fly rod.

Flies, technique, etc. is all described on the DVD; you can get it from Netbooks.

PS: If you want to target them conventionally, e.g. bass rod, then a platanna as live-bait [just check the regulations for your province] is the best way - legal in the free-state. Same rig as for bass works well, small sliding weight on line.
    Barend Esterhuizen Pr Eng

"But engineering isn't about perfect solutions; it's about doing the best you can with limited resources."
    The last lecture, Randy Pausch

Thanks so much for the help. I would usually just fish with bass tackle for barbel, but since I can sight cast to it (I think it is the only one in the dam) I am determined to add it to my species list on fly.

Should be a lot of fun on a 5wt
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

You can also check ot the June 2009 issue of the Flyfishing magazine.It also has the article in of how to target them and how to tie the fly that works for them.Goodluck.Dont forget to take a pic once you have him and post it here.

Barble is one specie that has always eluded me. even when i make a concerted effort at targeting hem, i seem to come unstuck.

Make the effort to come Bloem way in summer and I will sort you out with a double figure fish or 10.:-)But seriously.If ever you pass by this way and would like to spend a day targetting them you are more than welcome to knock on my door.

Blog Entries

John, I am going to take you up on that offer boet
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

I've sight fished successfully to barbel using both dry flies and nymphs. Have a swing with an elk hair caddis 20-30cm in front of the fish. If you use 5kg double x platinum, which is pretty thin and limp, it shouldn't spook the fish.

If that doesn't work, try lightly-weighted small nymphs (size 12-16) in green, brown or red with rubber legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    John, I am going to take you up on that offer boet
    You better.Was on the water yesterday and if it stays full as is its gonna be a huge season.Think I will start a thread when the season starts and post every weekends takings(as i go virtually every weekend)and guys are more than welcome to join me for a weekend of the ugly wiskered one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    You better.Was on the water yesterday and if it stays full as is its gonna be a huge season.Think I will start a thread when the season starts and post every weekends takings(as i go virtually every weekend)and guys are more than welcome to join me for a weekend of the ugly wiskered one.
    I have never caught one by actually targeting them...zapped two nymphing for Yellows...

So I want to chuck a fly at a barbel and hang on for dear life...
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast