Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Barbel help

Quote Originally Posted by Dion Gates View Post
    Yes absolutely fun

Ive always cought them on a fly called a "Half Chicken" with a red tail.

I like to target them when they are in schools of about 5 - 10.a 7 Weight rod with a lot of backing needed is needed. I landed a 10 KG Before, 20 minutes before that one i got one that was impossible to turn even holding the rod horisontal with the water didnt help at all. as i saw the last couple of loops on my reel go i had to hold it to snap the 18 pound leader like it was no joke at all. Any bay at the vaaldam with shallow water will be excellent spot in the following months to come.

Chris let me know where and when as id like to join you guys as well.
    Some nice Barbel there Dion.

I will let you know if something gets organised on this side.

These are the boys we are after.Makes a 9wt beg for mercy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by markdej View Post
    Naaah Boet its an absolute ball! They may not be the pretteyest buggers out there but a 7kg highveld steelhead gives you mighty fine sport on a #6
    Infact I believe Ive actively encouraged a few chaps to get in touch with you about lashing cats (Ne' Shamwari?) and now Ive got the Mrs telling me we need to go to Bloem again
    Markis...you did indeed...
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    These are the boys we are after.Makes a 9wt beg for mercy.
    Some proper size barbel there. I'd love to test out my new 12 weight set up on some fish like that.
    Andrew Schlosser

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left - Seasick Steve

Blog Entries

That is a good plan Andrew....I need to Christen my 10wt and 12wt that I got for my Bassas trip...
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

When is your Bassa trip.Maybe we can make a weekend at Bloemhof or somewhere inbetween us.Maybe even Alamanskraal dam,about 80km past kroonstad.Never fished it before but it has nice accomodation and I know there are some serious fish there.Heard of a 8kg largie even coming out there.Although the odds of catching one is low because of water clarity./

Blog Entries

I am only going in May next year John...we should make a plan, convince Mark De "Jong" to join us...

Ample time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    I am only going in May next year John...we should make a plan, convince Mark De "Jong" to join us...
    No convincing neccessary

Ive got an assist grip on my compost development that needs a workout too..

Barbel. Been a while.

A fun way to catch them is by attaching a foam popper 10 to 30cm above half a chicken (cleaner water) or Babbich Barbel Bugger(dirtier water). Cast out to where they are,pop two or three times in quick succession (try not move the fly to far) and wait. If the foam popper goes down,strike with all you've got for a good hookset and get ready. The smaller the fish, the lighter the rod. 2to3kg barble on a #3 is just .....
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123