Thread: Mullet on fly

Default Mullet on fly

Okay, I must admit they are there in their numbers. I have tried alot but with only one or two under my belt.
    The last 3 days I have casted a number of flies to feeding mullet. A mullet fly(white marabou), my own version of a amphiopod fly(damn close to the reel thing and a bunch of other flies.
    the mullet does not seems that interested. Am i spooking them, think not the remain in the same area and does not rubn for the hills. These flies are tied on no 12 hooks.
    If anyone has a solution for these little buggers please share. I do not prefer to chum with bread and cast a deer hair bread immitation. Trying to keep it real.(maybe I am a sucker for punishment)
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

howsit!

where are you targeting them?

we've had some success in the impenjati river on the lower south coast with tiny dry flies, in tan, light browns, by drifting them over sighted schools of fish. out of 10 casts, you may get one decent pull, so its a lot of cast and hope.

i've found that they are very lethargic in bigger estuaries,and it also depends on the specie.

we've taken, unintentionally, a few thread mullet in the surf at cape vidal too, while targeting pompano on surf candies.

however, i believe bull mullet can be targeted around weed beds down in PE.

chum them with bread and anchovy oil. And have a 9wt ready rigged with a flipper as well, they get so spaced out in their feeding that they attract leeries from far, be ready for that action.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by briansflyfishing View Post
    Okay, I must admit they are there in their numbers. I have tried alot but with only one or two under my belt.
    The last 3 days I have casted a number of flies to feeding mullet. A mullet fly(white marabou), my own version of a amphiopod fly(damn close to the reel thing and a bunch of other flies.
    the mullet does not seems that interested. Am i spooking them, think not the remain in the same area and does not rubn for the hills. These flies are tied on no 12 hooks.
    If anyone has a solution for these little buggers please share. I do not prefer to chum with bread and cast a deer hair bread immitation. Trying to keep it real.(maybe I am a sucker for punishment)
    Hi Brian,

Are you targeting stripped or southern? Size #12 hooks sound a bit big if targetting southern, I would tie sand hoppers on #14 and #16 scud hooks. Tie some in natural colours and then tie a couple with a chartreuse body. Fish a #16 - #20 hook covered in white or chartreuse egg yarn as a dropper about 8"-12" beneath your hopper imitation. Like trout, try and avoid drag (can be tricky in the surf but try a long thin leader and 5X-6X tippet) although sometime a twitch or a strip will elicit a take. They are a fun species to target but can be frustrating when they are all around you and ignoring your flies.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

I am targeting them on the Knysna lagooon. Was standing in one spot the other day with shoal after shoal comming past. Used all that was available. Had a size 14 scud and mullet fly(white marabou). Also spun deer hair fly in white and brown in size 12 and 14. Even had a PTN in a nymber 14.
    I triy to a void as much drag(casting up current), but there is alot og weeds and grass foating that the leader gets cought on.

Thanks guys I wil take the advise and just keep casting away. I love the challenge and will notify when I have success.

We have mainly the southern mullet here and then the odd Strpied Mullet.

I do have my 9 weight ready with every outing.

Had a huge skate almost take my crazy charlie, he followed it up to the jetty from where I was casting. a Futal idea as it was a 5 weiht outfit, the fight would have been short.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"