Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Email to Oord Nebo - 10/03/2011

Angry Email to Oord Nebo - 10/03/2011

I took the liberty to send this email to Oord Nebo. I have fished it for many years, and can see the fishing pressure on this excellent venue is mounting....

The email address is admin@oordnebo.co.za if you wish to also send some support emails.

Email: =====================================

Hi,

I write this email with respect but also with concern.

We note what appears to be a lack of active management of the conservation of the one of the indigenous species Labeobarbus (smallmouth yellowfish) on the area of Vaal river which flows past your property. You may or may not be aware that the fish is a protected species in the Vaal river and an indicator of the quality and ecological balance of the Vaal river, which we heavily rely on for industry and other requirements. I presume by the display of the YFWG (Yellowfish Working Group) at the resort you are aware of such facts.

I can appreciate the need for you to have patrons at your resort to support a business, however there is photographic evidence of the infringement of current Yellowfish Protection Laws. Uncontrolled fishing for this species is taking place with what would appear to be patrons who are not in need of subsistence angling for day to day survival, slaughtering fish after fish of the above species in contravention of the conservation law, with a fine of R2000.00 currently in place.

Fishing within the spawning grounds of the venue is resulting in untold damage to the survival of the species. I quote a scientific and economic observation with respect to the Labeobarbus:

Quote: Courtesy http://ncywg.co.za/news/smy.htm

Economic:

Smallmouth yellowfish are highly prized gamefish and their proximity to the Gauteng heartland is the keystone of the yellowfish fly fishing industry in South Africa. The angling tourism industry centred on the Vaal river has been valued at a massive R1.2 billion per annum which includes direct costs (angling equipment) and indirect costs (transport, accommodation and food). All forms of angling have targeted this species with great success and organised angling has been very supportive of measures to improve conservation of the two yellowfish species in this river system - competitive fishing for either species has been discontinued.

Scientific:

The smallmouth yellowfish is a slow-growing species with a low egg to mass ratio (fecundity), only becoming sexually active at a fork length of 30cm when it is almost seven years old.
    During the spawning season the skin of the male fish is covered in sensory papillae, giving it a rough feel to the touch. This is also found in females but to a lesser extent, therefore always wet your hands before handling fish as dry hands can remove this critical mucous layer that protects the skin and scales.

Considering the above two points, you can understand why the species is in need of protection. 7 Years to become sexually active….. Tramping in the spawning beds is a horrific act. Targeting spawning fish is disastrous.

We appeal as members of the fly-fishing community in both Gauteng and the Free State for observation of the above facts. In the event of failure (we sincerely hope you will consider these facts), we will need to take further action.

This is not directed only at your resort. It is a general malaise that appears to affect venues on the Vaal river. Should the complete demise of the yellowfish stock occur in the Vaal river, I can without doubt tell you it will have a severe economic impact on resort owners. The Fly Fishing fraternity is a close community with many highly educated members in high social and business standing and have sway in most communities, with active Carte Blanche series being launched. They are also a community that mostly have funds at their disposal and will gladly pay a premium to visit a resort that is sustainably managing the yellowfish population. You may have 10 fly fishing anglers in a day paying the full price, respecting the resort, not causing trouble. There will be ongoing repeat business in the form of accommodation.

By all means target the non-indigenous species such as Carp (particularly grass carp and barbel). The Carp species (grass) is particularly invasive and from a subsistence point of view an ideal fish for communities to catch and eat.

Should you visit the flyfishing forum www.flytalk.co.za with over 2500 active members, you will get an idea of the passion there is for the sport and conservation of the species. Bad press on this site will kill any resort.

A commendation otherwise on the physical management aspects of the resort, clean, well maintained and a true asset to the heritage of the Vaal river.....

Awaiting your response / acknowledgement of this email.

Thanks

Jeremy Reynolds

Well done Jeremy. I also emailed them this morning as did at least one other forum member.
    Andrew Schlosser

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left - Seasick Steve

Vote with your wallets...
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    Vote with your wallets...
    Graham, for all of us who were ther WE ARE.

I'm not going back untill Management changes their outlook.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Default Update to email to Oord Nebo

Hi, there has been a favourable response to the email (see below):

================================================== =======
    Hello Jeremy

Thanks for your letter, we did bring this matter under the attention of our visitors and try to resolve the problem. we attempt to issue every fisherman who enters our property

a copy of the protection law. If you have any suggestions that could help us, we will appreciate it if you can forward it to us, we will do everything in our power to make sure

this won't happen again.

Thanks'

Oord Nebo

================================================== ======

They are asking for any suggestions to control this problem?

1. Mark off spawning beds?
    2. More visual YFWG signs. Maybe a contribution to put up signs on the river bank with the R2000 fine warning?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyr View Post

They are asking for any suggestions to control this problem?

1. Mark off spawning beds?
    2. More visual YFWG signs. Maybe a contribution to put up signs on the river bank with the R2000 fine warning?
    3. Actively checking that people are sticking to the rules and taking a zero tolerance aproach to people breaking them.
    Andrew Schlosser

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left - Seasick Steve

Well done guys,just shows what can be done.And well done to Oord Nebo for at least responding favourably.

Funny how things work, you will say anything not to loose business.
    I am not convinced by the response, sorry.

Checking provincial licences when fisherman pay their daily fees.

This sounds like admin but mention the fact that they can purchase a "book of licences" for resale and hopefully they'll bite.
    Check your knots!

Awesome

Thanks Jeremy

just an idea so please comment!

If we as flytalk members can put to gether a list of places on the vaal we will visit. If the area ans Yellows are handled with the correct care and management of the resort police and enforce the rules. The opposite is also true if the resort doess not stick to the rules their names will be rmoved from the list and put onto a no go area list.

The economic pressure something like this will put pressure on resorts to change their enviromental stance.

Like I said just an idea?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast