Thread: New to Yellow fishing Please Help

Question New to Yellow fishing Please Help

I went Yellow fishing at Sterkfontein. I managed to land one on a san juan worm. Had no idea what to use or how to use it. Very frustrating.

Hi Alan,

Your query is certainly extremely vague at best, but welcome to the site nonetheless. There are many guys and as many opinions on here so you will definately be exposed to a variety of sources of information, which in my book is never a bad thing (irrespective of wether your a newbie or a master)

Well done on getting your first at the Holy Grail of YellowFish, Sterkfontein.

Why don't you elaborate a little on what kind of information/help you're looking for and I'm sure you will find loads of knowledgeable chaps willing to impart some wisdom.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

A little information on what flies to use and how to fish them would help a lot. I found myself thrashing the water for 4 days to no avail. I realise that this is not the best time of the year for yellows but ignorance dosn't help either.

Sterkfontein specific ?

I'd recommend getting in touch with Dave Weaver (083 303 4230) he guides on Sterkies and will get you up to speed far better than most others and I've heard nothing but good reviews from guys he has guided.

I can also recommend you get your hands on a little book called Favoured Flies and select techniques of the Experts Vol 2 (R150, any angling store should have it) and read the sections covering Stillwater YellowFish (Dave also has a section in there) It's an informative read and covers most of the basics you'd need to know about habitat, technique, flies, approach, etc.

I have also heard good things about Ian Couryer from two seperate other sources specifically referring to his guiding on Sterkfontein, so you might also give him a try, I think you should be able to get his contact information from Laxtons Flyfishing in JHB.

Lastly there are some other guys on here who visit (read : are pathetically addicted to) Sterkfontein and I'm sure they will respond too.

HTH,
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Thanks for the information I will certainly be giving the guides you mentioned a call.

At Sterkies it starts with finding the fish, the fly selection then is based on what is around, that book mentioned by Scythe is a real good place to start as it gives you a good indication on what to have with you.

Also presentation at Sterkies is key, good stealthy presentations that is.