Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Medjumbe Island

Anyone been to Medjumbe or the surrounding islands more recently?

I'm off there in about a months time and am faced with a serious dilemma as to what kit to take. 8wt, 12wt, spinning gear, jigging gear etc. The inter island airline charter is a bit draconian with their weight restrictions meaning some serious compromises are going to need to be made in terms if what i can take.

I'm going to be bleak if rock up with my 8wt and find that the fish are cruising 50m offshore or that I leave it at home and find shools of small kingies marauding the shoreline. Trying to get first hand info from someone who's been there is proving difficult!

I was in the Quirimbas a few years ago. We did a camping/sea kayaking/dhow trip from the North to the South. We only stayed on the islands that did not have private resorts. I had a 10 wt and 12 wt with me and the usual flies for bonefish and Kingfish. In one week I did not catch a single fish! We did a lot of snorkelling off the islands and in the deeper water between the islands. There were only little reef fish on the coral bommies and none of us saw any catchable species. The guys on the dhow trolled between the islands and caught one small bonito. The locals fish those waters heavily with very fine nets and have exterminated the food chain. The place looks picture perfect but the area was an aquatic desert. One if the guys had a fishing kayak and he went really far out towards the blue every day and blanked each time.

We were told (by the charter plane pilot) that the fishing was better on the private islands like Medjumbe or offshore (need to charter a powerboat).

I sincerely hope you have better luck than we did!

Here's a link to the trip I did

http://www.kayakquirimbas.com/

I have to concur with Neil. We came via the islands from the Lazarus banks by Catamaran and were very disappointed with the fishing, given the fantastic flats and structure we found.

The second day on the inner islands it all made sense when we came across a couple of Dow's with a huge seine net that they were systematically dragging across a flat and the bommies with a big contingent of divers and beaters and net pullers working the whole affair.

Further offshore we did find some nice rips and reef though that did produce a couple of Greenspots and bludgers.

Great diving though and beautifully scenery. Like most spots though, I'm sure that the sand spit produces some crazy action at the right times over the springs.

Thanks for the info even if it doesn't sound to promising. Think I'll leave the fly kit at home

Just to update this, the fishing at Medjumbe itself wasnt spectacular but I still had a good time. I didnt miss my fly fishing kit at all, but I also didnt fish too hard to be honest.

Lots of small kingies, darts and garfish around the island itself with fishing off the end of the spit into the deep a few times not yielding anything other than a hookup with a monster baracuda.

Offshore was a bit better - big schools of skipjack and bus yellowfin, ever present king makerel and the odd GT. I managed to land my first GT on a surface lure while casting to a school of skipjacks, not intentional but I'll claim it

With a bit more time and dedication I think you could pick up some good fish at the right time of year as there are some serious drop offs, 20m to 160m...

IMG_0579.jpg
    Check your knots!

Good job ... mooi GT.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12