Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Medjumbe Island

Default Medjumbe Island

Hi Guys

I am going to Medjumbe Island for my honeymoon. its in the Quirimba Archipelago! Its says that fly fishing can be done on the island, I would think its for bones, kings and what ever else. Can you guys help with some patterns that would work, so i can start tying and getting prepared

Any help would be apprecaited

Thanx

Eddie
    Last edited by ed_cik; 12-09-11 at 03:31 PM.
    Carpe Diem

DAMN! I have no info on the place, but it looks like fly fishing heaven! Sure looks "fishy"...bet the bones, GT's and Permit are around...

"Mozambique's Medjumbe Island, a strip of white sand and trees about 1/3-mile-wide (1/2-kilometer-wide), is probably my favorite island in the Quirimbas. Maybe it's the perfect water, the shell-strewn beaches, or the pristine reefs, but deep down, I suspect that it is the spectacular fishing that I love most. Here Rob Dyer, a South African filmmaker and adventurer, fly fishes in the water directly in front of our campsite."

charlies and clousers for sure...some flashy profiles as well...

Fishing yourself single...
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    DAMN! I have no info on the place, but it looks like fly fishing heaven! Sure looks "fishy"...bet the bones, GT's and Permit are around...
    On your honeymoon??? Will she ''permit'' you???If she does, you will ''bone'' till your GT's ..............

Quote Originally Posted by dtayl13 View Post
    Fishing yourself single...

waaaahaaahaha LMO.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Maybe I got myself "the perfect catch"!!! Its the perfect honeymoon destination small romantic island with awesome fishing! What more do you want for a honeymoon!
    Carpe Diem

hopefully there will be some bones there...
    i am pretty sure there will be kingies of all shapes and sizes, also there are usually lots of small pick handle cuda and garfish that cruise the flats in mozam...
    i'd def also take along some surf candies and some wire trace just for in case

What weight rod do you guys recon. I have a 9# and a 12#. 9# has sinking, int and floating. Dont have line for the 12# yet. What should i get sinking or int?
    Carpe Diem

Mark has done quite a bit of fishing there. give him a call for some advise.
    011 706 3894/0482
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Unfortunately up in Jhb but travel countrywide

Quote Originally Posted by rod View Post
    Hi Guys

I am going to Medjumbe Island for my honeymoon. its in the Quirimba Archipelago! Its says that fly fishing can be done on the island, I would think its for bones, kings and what ever else...e
    Hello Eddie...

Medjumbe is my island of choice in the Quirimbas archipelago. Have not been there yet but have been checking it out for a while now (and planning what i would need/do fishing-wise). It has a sandspit that looks similar to the sandspit on Kuredu Island in the Maldives which I have spent time on. The fishing was stunning there, and I would expect similar on Medjumbe.

Majority of fishing I did was with 9wt intermediate, (but also had a 9wt and 12wt floater, and another 12wt floater all rigged). Flies that worked well were the standard Mozambican clouser (2/0), Salty Buggers, crabs and grey and white clousers (which incidentally also did a lot of damage in Mauritius). I suppose that if you used similar tackle and flies, you wont go too wrong.

Enjoy.

Regards
    Sudesh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast