View Poll Results: Do you have a freshwater license for SM yellowfish

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I do have one for the province/s i fish in

13 32.50%
  • No I don't, I have tried but don't know where to find one

12 30.00%
  • No I don't, I have not tried to find out where or how to get one.

15 37.50%
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Freshwater License for yellowfish

Default Freshwater License for yellowfish

Hi people, I've been wondering alot about licenses to fish for SM yellowfish.
    So i've decided to start this poll.

I might be wrong but In some provinces one needs a special permit for largemouth? - ignore that, this is just about the freshwater permit one needs for smallmouth yellowfish.

So here are the options. whether you fish for yellows often or just once or twice.

1 - I do have a license for the province/s i fish in.
    2 - I don't have one, I have tried but don't know where to get one.
    3 - I don't have one, I haven't tried to find out where or how to get one.

If it helps for honesty - each members choice cannot be seen publicly
    Last edited by saml; 13-09-11 at 10:33 AM.

Gauteng

AGRICULTURE, CONSERVATION, ENVIRONMENT AND LAND AFFAIRS
    Office of the Head of Nature Conservation

Diamond Corner Building
    68 Eloff & Market Street
    Johannesburg
    P.O. Box 8769,
    Johannesburg

Telephone: (011) 355-1428
    Fax: (011) 355-1239
    Enquiries: Dirk Boshoff
    E-mail: dirkbo@gpg.gov.za

RE: ANGLING AND FISHING LICENSES WITHIN GAUTENG
    The Directorate wishes to thank you for your interest in nature conservation and the effort you make to ensure that the correct information regarding the legislation on the conservation reaches the angler and the general public. Unfortunately this Directorate can only speak for the Gauteng Province, as each of the nine provinces has own legislative competencies in terms of the Constitution.

Herewith my response regarding your questions as listed:

In terms of the Constitution of South Africa, Nature Conservation is a provincial competency has been entrusted to nine new provinces. Previously only one license was required for the old Transferal Province, but after 1994, and in terms of the new Constitution. Transvaal was divided into four new provincial provinces with each its own provincial government. The result is four separate angling licenses for the former Transvaal Province.

A fishing license is required for angling in any public waters in the Gauteng Province at a cost of R25.00 with a validity period from 1 July until 30 June of the following year. These licenses are for sale at various angling shops as well as some revenue offices. A person can also purchase a license book at a cost of R1250.00 or a single license for R25.00 at the Permits Office of this Department. The contact person is Ms. Sophy Mphahlele at (011) 355 1207 or at e-mail address sophiemah@gpg.gov.za. Gauteng does not have any proclaimed trout waters.ssss

Previously funds from fishing license went to the state coffers but since the 2nd May 2002 with the implementation of cost recovery in his Department, cost recovered funds have been ring fenced for Nature Conservation, and these funds will be used for conservation purposes such as research on the sustainainable off take of fish in the Province as well as for awareness and law enforcement and compliance purposes. Anglers will benefit in that the resource they use will be available to be harvested sustainably for many years to come.

The Gauteng Directorate of Nature Conservation has a Law Enforcement and Compliance Division stationed at Head Office in Johannesburg which deals with ant illegal activities such as gillnetting. Any illegal activities can be reported to the mentioned Law Enforcement Division at (011) 355-1257 during office hours or (082) 759 0078 after hours.

The Law Enforcement Division reacts to complaints as well as information received from the public. In addition to this routine inspections are also done.

The Law Enforcement Division of this Directorate does routine inspections throughout Gauteng.

Gauteng Conservation still uses Ordinance 12 of 1983, which is the best known Ordinance for the public. The following points are important to know regarding angling within Gauteng.

A person needs a fishing license as explained in point 2.
    Important information regarding the numbers and sizes of is printed on the reverse side of the fishing license.
    Only two fishing rods with no more than two hooks per rod are allowed.
    No person shall, while angling, employ a method to hook fish other than in the mouth.
    No person are allowed to catch fish with gillnets except the owner where the land completely surrounds such waters. This means where no river system runs though the waters or dam, no river system runs though the waters or dam.
    No person shall make a feeding area in waters by placing any animal, vegetable or any other substance therein to allure the fish by virtue of the edibility, smell or taste thereof.
    No person shall place an object, which floats in water, which serves as a marker indicating the place where there is any object, substance, agent or product under the water, which allures or is likely to allure fish.
    No person is allowed to sell live freshwater fish unless he is the holder of a permit.
    No person shall organize, arrange, control, mange or hold an angling competition in which either alone or together with any other event, a prize or prizes exceeding R300.00 in cash or nature are offered, unless he/she is the holder of the permit.

The National Government will in the foreseeable future be promulgating a new National Act on the Protection of Biodiversity. It is foreseen that the Provinces will then adapt their Provincial legislation to be in line with the National Legislation. It is the intention of this office that the new Provincial act will be easy understand. The national as well as the provincial governments will, as is normal practice, follow public participation processes in the drafting of these new acts.

Fishing License for the Gauteng Province are available Shops, Fishing Tackle Shops as well as various Angling l as some Revenue Offices within Gauteng. Conservation authorities from the other provinces should be contacted for information regarding their fishing license.
    Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform

Does anyone know which JHB fly shops have these Licenses?

mark Banned User

I know Fresh Water in Vanderbijlpark sells Gauteng and Free State licences.

Quote Originally Posted by Saloon 2000 View Post
    Gauteng

Only two fishing rods with no more than two hooks per rod are allowed.

No person shall make a feeding area in waters by placing any animal, vegetable or any other substance therein to allure the fish by virtue of the edibility, smell or taste thereof.
    Here comes trouble... How do you get awarded national/protea colours for a sport if you're knowingly breaking the law?
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    Here comes trouble... How do you get awarded national/protea colours for a sport if you're knowingly breaking the law?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    I know Fresh Water in Vanderbijlpark sells Gauteng and Free State licences.
    Untill their books were full.

Angling liscences inland is a farce and a joke.

The only Provinces that have an idea are KZN and the Cape. KZN enforce the Salt Permits with a vengence.
    The Cape booitjies have both Salt, and others concerning F/W, which I don;t know much about, but have paid for them, and will continue to do so when I am next down there.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Untill their books were full.

Angling liscences inland is a farce and a joke.

The only Provinces that have an idea are KZN and the Cape. KZN enforce the Salt Permits with a vengence.
    The Cape booitjies have both Salt, and others concerning F/W, which I don;t know much about, but have paid for them, and will continue to do so when I am next down there.
    Herman it seems that way - that inland licenses are a joke.

The whole system need a revamp and someone in the gauteng environmental dept needs to head up the change - surely there is a way to get this done?

I understand that it is nearly impossible to patrol the vaal and check for licenses since it is mostly private land, but if the licenses are easily obtained many people will get them out of good will (especially fly fishers)

on top of that - all the people that would buy one out of good will would certainly be willing to pay a lot more than R25 a year... right guys?

Quote Originally Posted by saml View Post
    Herman it seems that way - that inland licenses are a joke.

The whole system need a revamp and someone in the gauteng environmental dept needs to head up the change - surely there is a way to get this done?

I understand that it is nearly impossible to patrol the vaal and check for licenses since it is mostly private land, but if the licenses are easily obtained many people will get them out of good will (especially fly fishers)

on top of that - all the people that would buy one out of good will would certainly be willing to pay a lot more than R25 a year... right guys?

I see a licence as just another way of taxing us, why not just enforce the rules? Why do we need to pay higher licence fees if it will just go into a fat cats pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvd View Post
    I see a licence as just another way of taxing us, why not just enforce the rules? Why do we need to pay higher licence fees if it will just go into a fat cats pocket.
    True, it would need to be made absolutely clear where the money is going and what is being done with it - which is of course the difficult part.

What would work best is if there was a seperate license for yellowfish, and all of that money went to an organisation thats primary goal is the protection and conservation of the various species and rivers.

Enforcing the rules would be extremely difficult, but not impossibe. If you got the venue owners to co-operate it could work.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast