Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Xplorer T50 Rods

Default Xplorer T50 Rods

Was looking on Xploreres site and saw the T50 rod. It looks pretty nice......Has anyone tested or reviewed these rods? Can anyone comment on their action?

Any info much appreciated.

Have they actually hit the shelves yet? If so, at what price?

They have been advertising those for over a year now and I am yet to see one in a shop.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Not sure? I was just surfing their site and thought that the T50 rod looked pretty nice and would make a really great "back-up" rod.......price dependent of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Have they actually hit the shelves yet? If so, at what price?

They have been advertising those for over a year now and I am yet to see one in a shop.
    I think they are expected this month.
    Regards
    Craig

Actually got a reply from Jandi Trading and they said that the rods are due to hit the shelves end of the month, first week of Oct. Should retail at around R2100.00. So will look out for them....

Look I have no knowledge of the T50 but for that price range rather put in R400 more and get the TFO BVK. It is a phenomenal rod, incredibly light, fantastic action, much nicer finish than some of the other TFOs - go read the reviews.

Or, of you are looking for a 10 footer the TFO Jim Teeny is perfect for the Vaal and this goes for R2200.

And with both of these rods you get a R200 odd gift voucher back to spend on more flyfishing goodies if you get it from one of the forum sponsors, Weizterfish.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

What I like about the T50 is they are using Recoil guides on the rod...they are simply the best in the world. Shape-memory nickel alloy metal which are crushproof, and won't corrode or rust in any enviroment. Phenomenal guides...and pricey as hell...between R35 and R50 PER Guide. So if there's 10 guides on the rod, that already constitutes around R 400.00 worth of components.

The reelseats on the saltwater models are the ALPS triangular channel-lock seats, which are awesome too. The freshwater seats look pretty good as well, with a nice burl wood spacer.

The blank, well...your guess is as good as mine. They claim a very high modulus, but who knows. The grip looks pretty poofy though, cork quality not that great.

Overall, the price seems reasonable. One would have to cast the rod and ideally fish it for a day to make the final call.

The TFO BVK rods have received good reviews, so maybe it's a good option too. Best bet is to go cast a few rods (the T50, the BVK, and a few other makes/models) and then decide.

Another option in the same price bracket is the Stealth Infinity. I am getting a new #5 shortly and after reading the reviews was dead set on the BVK. Then I had a chance to cast the BVK and the Infinity with my reels and lines on them. As good as the BVK felt, the Infinity felt just that much better to me. Slightly lighter and slightly "crisper", for lack of a better word.
    Last edited by schloshd1; 14-09-11 at 06:15 AM.
    Andrew Schlosser

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left - Seasick Steve

After months of reading reviews, casting different rods, comparing prices, etc, I also settled on the BVK 5wt. Got mine a couple of weeks ago. So far I am more than happy with it. Its currently loaded with a 6wt floating line which works quite well on it. Originally the BVK also had recoil stripping guides, but they have now been replaced with "Tactical series guides" - whatever exactly that means.

There have been a couple of other more expensive rods that I considered, but I was not really prepared to pay the large extra amount now for the marginal better performance on my casting style. One rod (no pun intended) that did stand out for me, was the Hardy Zenith. But the price on that is more than double the BVK. Instead, I spoiled myself with a Shilton CR3 to match the BVK...

Morne

you guys make me very exited with the BVK...... mine is on order and i cant wait for it to arrive..... when o when will my rod be here..............
    Gert Ferreira

"There is certainly something in fishing that tends to produce a gentleness of spirit, a pure serenity of mind."

~by Washington Irving~

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast