Thread: Loskop Dam

Default Loskop Dam

I'm heading to Loskop this weekend for a friend's b-day. I know the dam's got a healthy population of blue kurper. We'll be camping at Forever Resort Loskop. Does anyone know how the fishing is there - I've never been there in my life?!

Went there many many years ago.
    There are yellows in the dam too, if I remember correctly.

You should do well with a tiny nymph suspended below something like a cream Klinky, or even a tiny EHK.

Watch out for the flat dogs
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Howzit CJ,

As you say nice blue kurper, but also bass and I believe the inlet to the left of the resort is a good spot to prospect, but you obviously need a boat to fish the dam effectively though, only bit of info i've got.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    Went there many many years ago.
    There are yellows in the dam too, if I remember correctly.

You should do well with a tiny nymph suspended below something like a cream Klinky, or even a tiny EHK.

Watch out for the flat dogs
    I was also there 15+ years ago and caught quite a few "papermouth" not sure if there are other yellow species??

Hey CJ,

I lived in middelburg for 14years, so I know Loskop very well. There are the blue kurper, as you say, and red breast tilapia, big carp, big barbel, big papermouth (obviously not a big fish but some sizers there), makriel (good fly species but be careful the spines), big bass (not many but they are there) and of course large and smallscale yellows. There are hippo's, crocs in the dam and bilharzia.....take note. If you have a boat, great, if not you will just have to fish the bays and banks and weed beds. Then if you take a drive to the olifants river behind the dam wall, this is where you will get some good yellows......bur be careful of the flatdogs, private land and don't go alone!

Here are some recent pics of friends who have caught there over the past month.

Loskop is an awesome place but is under threat of a severe case of pollution from the mines and many fish, crocs and hippo's have died in the upper innlet reaches.

Have a great time and hope you enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the replies. I'll maily stick arround the resort so I'll fish what there is to fish in those boundries. The kurper and yellows on fly wont be a problem, I've got that sorted out - as for makriel....mmmmmmm??? Whose got some info on that subject?

Hey CJ,

Those bliksim silver barbel are a predatory species but not all that bad.

here's some info:

The Silver Catfish (Makriel) is found in the northern region of South Africa, in the Highveld and Lowveld areas. The Silver Catfish (Makriel) is more active during the night and in overcast conditions and they form shoals in large bodies of slow moving or stagnant water. Silver Catfish (Makriel) have a diet which includes small fish such as the Papermouth, Threespot Barb and Red Breast Tilapia, insects, shrimp, snails, seeds and fruit. The Silver Catfish (Makriel) breed during the rainy season and they live for about 7 years. These Butter Barbel are an angling species but can prove to be a nuisance. They are a very aggressive fish and should not be kept in aquariums. The Silver Catfish (Makriel) is an important subsistence fisheries target.

If you have those flies and the ones that represent seeds and fruit, you should be ok!

Hope it helps.