• 3kg-4kg

39 30.23%
  • 4kg-4.5kg

19 14.73%
  • 4.5kg-5kg

7 5.43%
  • >5kg

19 14.73%
Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Thread: What's your biggest SM Yellowfish

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    I still say the first pic is a LM.
    it is a SMY

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simpkins View Post
    How do I post Photo's larger than 2 MB in a reply ?
    You need to add a >2Mb option to the poll 1st ...
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

This was undoubtedly my most memorable, maybe not my biggest though. Caught at sterkies(obviously) on dry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Size does matter! Smallstreams fill up big hearts!!!!!!!

Hi guys, went fishing last week to the Vaal managed to catch a lovely healthy yellow definately my biggest. No scale or pic but i did measure the fish, it was 55cm (forklenght). Any estimates on the weight? I assume it was around 3.5 kg, is there a lenght to weight convertor for fresh water fished? I searched the web but only found one for salt water fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Pappa Roach View Post
    Hi guys, went fishing last week to the Vaal managed to catch a lovely healthy yellow definately my biggest. No scale or pic but i did measure the fish, it was 55cm (forklenght). Any estimates on the weight? I assume it was around 3.5 kg, is there a lenght to weight convertor for fresh water fished? I searched the web but only found one for salt water fish.
    Unfortunately there is not a proper one for SM.
    A 60cm SM generally weighs around 2.7kg (6lb) - but that measurement is nose-to-tip & not fork length.

Based on that, your fish should be pushing 3kg
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

FlyFanatic Banned User

Did you measure the girth of the fish as well? The only way to accurately calculate the mass is by using both the length as well as the girth. I have an excel calculator which I once got somewhere. My PB was a nice and fat yellow of 62cm fork length, and 45cm girth, according to the calculator it weighed 4.04kg. We measured the fish with 2 different scales after it was caught, both gave the fish at 4kg's, so I would say it is quite accurate!

The ratio of the length vs girth of this fish is 0.73, therefore for your fish you could assume the girth to be in the region of 40cm, which according to the calculator would be about 2.83kg's. Remember this all depends on the girth of the fish, by changing the girth to 45 cm, the weight of the fish becomes 3.58kg's!

Do you perhaps have a photo of the fish?

Here is the calculation code for who-ever is interested:

Fish type K-value :

Yellowfish/Trout/Mudfish = 31.1
    Bass/Carp/Catfish = 27.8 (dont know how accurate the catfish one will be...)

Weight = (((Girth^2)*Length)/K-value)/1000

Best Regards

Jaco

FlyFanatic Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    Unfortunately there is not a proper one for SM.
    A 60cm SM generally weighs around 2.7kg (6lb) - but that measurement is nose-to-tip & not fork length.

Based on that, your fish should be pushing 3kg
    Well then, listen to the master! Seems like the calculator is not to bad for yellow's after all!

Would be good to test this, please post your fish weight, length and girth values, then we can create an array table to see how accurate the results are!

I dont understand you formula please explain???

Weight = (((Girth^2)*Length)/K-value)/1000

FlyFanatic Banned User

What must I explain G-man? I dont know how they came to this formula, if I remember correctly it was for trout, which some-one correlated to our freshwater fish.

WEIGHT = LENGTH x GIRTH² / SHAPE FACTOR

Come now Gerrit, you probably have the most fish data of all of us, punch in the numbers and give us feedback!
    Last edited by FlyFanatic; 19-11-12 at 04:11 PM.

Thanx Jakes,het nie die formula so mooi verstaan nie.

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast