• 3kg-4kg

39 30.23%
  • 4kg-4.5kg

19 14.73%
  • 4.5kg-5kg

7 5.43%
  • >5kg

19 14.73%
Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Thread: What's your biggest SM Yellowfish

Quote Originally Posted by celticdragondale View Post
    Thanks all. I also guessed around 3.5kg.
    ?
    We said 3kg at the top end. I'd say 6lb (2.7kg) if it were mine. 3.5kg - unfortunately not. Common to overestimate SM weight, since they really do put up a serious fight. :tongue:
    Get a McLean Weigh Net and you'll know for sure.

Any ideas for how i can maybe scale roughly off the pis for measurements?
    ???
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Any ideas for how i can maybe scale roughly off the pis for measurements?
    Measure your hands and "rebuild" the measurement in cm from your hands and the pictures.

Not accurate, but it will give you some idea at least.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Congratulates on all your guys beautiful monster fishes that you manage to concur. i am jealous.
    I was wondering if some of you could share the size tippet you landed your monster on and maybe the fly size.
    That would be interesting

FlyFanatic Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Measure your hands and "rebuild" the measurement in cm from your hands and the pictures.

Not accurate, but it will give you some idea at least.
    And then put the values into my calculator..

Compare apples with apples.

2.8kg fish

Your fish ?

Would say they are rather identical in average size wouldn't you?

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    Compare apples with apples.

2.8kg fish

Your fish ?

Would say they are rather identical in average size wouldn't you?
    Would agree that you will be able to work out an average, but they do tend to get very skinny and very fat at times
    Last edited by Pipe; 21-11-12 at 01:19 PM.

Thanks all for your input. I'm happy enough with 2.5 - 2.8kg

Will just have to go back there and try get the bigger ones that were keeping that one company, haha

Make no mistake - that is a flippen nice fish - Well done!

Been thinking long and hard about why the fish on the Vaal look so small, yet the guys claim them to be so heavy...I mean... clearly there are a few fish that look to be 2Kg's, yet the fly fisherman claims it to be 4kg's...... Now I know why. Its not that the guy is lying or cant estimate correctly, its just that the Vaal is so damn full of heavy metal pollution, it must be having an effect of the weight of the fish. Also, with all the guys snapping tippets and stuff, the fish must be gorging themselves on tungsten bead flies, and split shot, so think about it...... the fish are definatly heavier than they look. It all makes perfect sense to me now.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Been thinking long and hard about why the fish on the Vaal look so small, yet the guys claim them to be so heavy...I mean... clearly there are a few fish that look to be 2Kg's, yet the fly fisherman claims it to be 4kg's...... Now I know why. Its not that the guy is lying or cant estimate correctly, its just that the Vaal is so damn full of heavy metal pollution, it must be having an effect of the weight of the fish. Also, with all the guys snapping tippets and stuff, the fish must be gorging themselves on tungsten bead flies, and split shot, so think about it...... the fish are definatly heavier than they look. It all makes perfect sense to me now.
    LOLOL @ Andre....good one.

Best lesson learned for me on this forum. Put pictures on and put weights or estimates on......AND GET READY TO BE HAMMERED!!!
    Best is no picture, or if you really want to...just say "nice fish" and leave it for the pro's here to decide the fishes fate....I mean weight :biggrin:
    Measure the fish, and work it out on the formula, because most cheap chinese scales will only get you into trouble...
    That's my 5c worth....Anyways, it should be about how the fish took, fought, looked and the release, and how it made you felt inside. The picture should be a snapshot to bring those memories back, and not about the proof of the size. I should know, I was like that in the beginning.
    Dirk Human

Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.

Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast