• 4.5kg-5kg

7 5.43%
  • >5kg

19 14.73%
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your biggest SM Yellowfish

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    I think maybe I should move out of the rapids
    There are big fish in rapids sure but the majority of lunkers have their spots elsewhere.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 30-09-11 at 11:47 AM.

Not sure on the weight of the first two photo's

__________________________________________________ ______________

This is not a monter SM but it was one of the best conditioned SM I hooked on the river..

A woman who has never seen her husband fly-fish, doesn't know what a patient man she married!

http://dirkleroux.blogspot.com/

I always fish on my own, so taking proper pictures of my catches is a constant problem - and the camera is not waterproof (yet).

This sub-standard picture is of my PB yellow. Unfortunately I could not weigh it, but it measured just under 60cm in length. It was quite literally caught on a last cast of the weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by dleroux View Post
    Not sure on the weight of the first two photo's

This is not a monter SM but it was one of the best conditioned SM I hooked on the river..

Cannot see images....ImageShack sucks

IT Is nice to land a big one. But when you miss a big one after almost having it in the net, hurts! I tried to net a big SM for a friend but realised after the first attempt that it would not fit into the net, even if you folded it double. Problem is by that time the hook came out (thanks to my netting attempt) and we were left standing without words. He reminds me every time we go fishing, and a few other times. That fish was definitely in the 5kg to 7kg range.

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    Awesome fish. Few people spend as much time as you on the river. Well done.

I started fishing for yellows on the Vaal 14 years ago!
    Since 1997, and many many fishing trips, I only ever once caught a smallmouth in the 4.5kg range and only two other fish around 4kg. That makes it a total of three fish in the 4kg category in roughly 100 trips to the river!!!!
    I think maybe I should move out of the rapids

We need to look after our big fish and make sure that our children can maybe land the same fish we did.
    Don't feel bad Mario, although I've only been fishing the Vaal for about 5 years now, I average 30+ trips a year. That's 2 yellows over 4 kg in over 150 trips, but dammit it was worth it.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Factor View Post
    biggest 4.9...

know GGY has got a 5.1 kg
    And Factor and I both landed fish of over 4 kg last weekend at W 'n B. Mine was 4.1kg - weighed in my McLean, which I have checked as accurate.
    Wanted to get pics, Dan had the camera ready, but when she cleared the net, she got loose...and I don't want to man-handle those big fish.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

My biggest SM on fly [dry fly, self-tied ] was 3.8kg... What an awesome day it was, 1 of my 1st days out after getting the ARK ... I took 8, yes 8 SM on dry that day, biggest the mentioned 3.8kg and the smallest was 2.8kg, 7 out of 8 was >= 3kg

It was also one of these 3kg+ SM [long distance sight-fished] that have been the ONLY fish to ever take me into my backing.

---------------------------------

My biggest SM was taken whilst targeting barbel, on the drop, 5.5kg! The fish gave a powerful account of itself but wasn't in good condition.

Also a pic of a MONSTER 5kg+ taken at ... I'm sure some guys will know where the pump in the background is [unless it has been painted in the interim].

1 of my buddies have also picked up a 4kg+ SM whilst drifting for barbel.

In terms of all the recent LM trips [1 / week the last 3 or so months] we have spotted [at very short range] SM >5kg in small pods of 3-4 fish... but they didn't wanna take the Largie flies and unfortunately when we hunt largies, we hunt largies ... SM gear stays home as it is a distraction because there is ALWAYS SM around in winter.

All these mentioned were in big open deep pools.

Quote Originally Posted by troutmaster View Post
    My biggest SM on fly [dry fly, self-tied ] was 3.8kg... What an awesome day it was, 1 of my 1st days out after getting the ARK ... I took 8, yes 8 SM on dry that day, biggest the mentioned 3.8kg and the smallest was 2.8kg, 7 out of 8 was >= 3kg

It was also one of these 3kg+ SM [long distance sight-fished] that have been the ONLY fish to ever take me into my backing.

My biggest SM was taken whilst targeting barbel, on the drop, 5.5kg! The fish gave a powerful account of itself but wasn't in good condition.

Also a pic of a MONSTER 5kg+ taken at ... I'm sure some guys will know where the pump in the background is [unless it has been painted in the interim].

1 of my buddies have also picked up a 4kg+ SM whilst drifting for barbel.

In terms of all the recent LM trips [1 / week the last 3 or so months] we have spotted [at very short range] SM >5kg in small pods of 3-4 fish... but they didn't wanna take the Largie flies and unfortunately when we hunt largies, we hunt largies ... SM gear stays home as it is a distraction because there is ALWAYS SM around in winter.

All these mentioned were in big open deep pools.

Barend
    with all the large fish you catch, I recommend that you get a bigger net.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Guys those are some awesome fish!! Well Done to all...

But please remember that almost all smallmouth yellowfish over 1.5kg are female...

Be gentle with the ladies.

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast