Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Clearwater yellowfish

Default Clearwater yellowfish

Except for Sterkfontein, reports of fishing for yellowfish in clear water is far and few. This afternoon I took the boys down to the Kraai for a little excursion.

The visibility of the Kraai was probably around 60-70cm, with PLENTY of smallmouth in the 12" - 18" region feeding actively in the shallow water and rapids/riffles.

Tomorrow I'll take a rod and some flies, maybe I get lucky .....
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

mark Banned User

Must have been very tempting to quickly go home and get a rod.
    Last edited by mark; 30-09-11 at 05:07 PM. Reason: mistake

Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    Must have been very tempting to quickly go home and get a rod.
    I reckon they'll be there tomorrow It's only 4km from my house, so popping down to the river for an hour or so in the afternoon this summer might be fun this season (if flow and visibility stay good). I'm on holiday until the 10th October, so let's see how it goes.
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Mario

It has always amazed me, with the waters around you that you have not targeted the SM and LM more actively.
    With the Orange on your doorstep, the massive LM swimming around there, must awesome.
    Imagine, driving 1km to the river and be able to catch a LM or 2 every afternoon?
    Maybe get Klaas to show you some tricks for LM fishing. You might be spending every afternoon on the river.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Mario

It has always amazed me, with the waters around you that you have not targeted the SM and LM more actively.
    With the Orange on your doorstep, the massive LM swimming around there, must awesome.
    Imagine, driving 1km to the river and be able to catch a LM or 2 every afternoon?
    Maybe get Klaas to show you some tricks for LM fishing. You might be spending every afternoon on the river.
    I love to fish in clear water, trying to sight and then cast to fish. Mostly the conditions in Aliwal don't lend itself to this. With conditions as they are at the moment (ito flow levels and clarity/visibility) I have NO problem taking a drive down to the Kraai and Orange. This however is only 5% of the year. So, tips & tricks from Klaas and the like are most welcome, but if I'm not keen on the river it still won't help much
    Mario Geldenhuys

The Kraai, or certain stretches of it is quite spectacular. I agree with Mario about the Orange at Aliwal, most of the time it is pretty muddie.

Some pics of the Kraai in good form.

There are even some decent bows in there at this time of the year.

really lovely river fish.

The Kraai is a stunning river.
    It is one of the few "big" rivers that you can fish for trout in SA.
    A #5 rod and you will have a good day.
    Not really a #0 or something like that river.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

The Kraai is a stunning river.
    To all, keep in mind I get the Kraai around 200km down from this.

It is one of the few "big" rivers that you can fish for trout in SA.
    Once again, not where I am

A #5 rod and you will have a good day.
    I love fishing my #3 here - the fish are generally not that big as you would find on the Vaal.

Not really a #0 or something like that river.
    Agreed - but like all tackle, you can use it if you know how to use it
    Mario Geldenhuys

Well, luck (good or bad, you decide) seems to keep me away from the yellows here close to town. Rain and high wind on Saturday and Sunday. Yesteday and today the temps were/are close to 10 degrees in the morning. Heavy mist, which does bode better for this afternoon or maybe even tomorrow. Alternatively I'll fish the KMS this week (that is, if my shoulder and elbow recover after a couple hundred throw-downs with some cricketing lads).
    Mario Geldenhuys

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Well, luck (good or bad, you decide) seems to keep me away from the yellows here close to town. Rain and high wind on Saturday and Sunday. Yesteday and today the temps were/are close to 10 degrees in the morning. Heavy mist, which does bode better for this afternoon or maybe even tomorrow. Alternatively I'll fish the KMS this week (that is, if my shoulder and elbow recover after a couple hundred throw-downs with some cricketing lads).
    That front got us here aswell. If I were you I would drive a bit further up and fish the Kraai closer to the Sterkspruit, my experience is that there are some huge trout in big numbers there this time of year. It should be looking like the pic bellow. If time is an issue, KMS is always a safe bet. Lucky you

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast