Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: The sandsharks of Langebaan

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    ... I'm taking it you essentially just walk them out onto the sand to land them. ...
    Well there is a fair bit of hectic that has to pass before you "just walk them out" The first run on a mouth hooked fish is long and fast. And on the bigger ones followed by a nice slugfest - you have to be very patient on 8lb tippet. Unless you have wave action to assist beaching it, you'll probably have to go in the water and grab the tail beause they find extra reserves of strength and stamina when you get them into the shallows. Expect a few lunging runs when you get them in close - so be careful of high sticking.

I'd say from the typical sizes around Langebaan the overall fight is roughly equivalent to a fit carp of similar weight. Sandies obviously being long for their weight. And it's not a linear relationship - the bigger sandies get more bulky and pull disproportionately harder and longer.

Look, they'll never win any prizes for being the hardest fighting fish - but a good sized one on a light fly rod will be a thorough test of your angling skill. My biggest one took at least 10 minutes to land - and that would've been much longer if Big Jim had not been there to snatch it by the tail for me
    The highest form of existence is play.

Hi guys
    Im in langebaan at the moment
    Any good spots to spin for elf etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by William Ewels View Post
    Well there is a fair bit of hectic that has to pass before you "just walk them out" The first run on a mouth hooked fish is long and fast. And on the bigger ones followed by a nice slugfest - you have to be very patient on 8lb tippet. Unless you have wave action to assist beaching it, you'll probably have to go in the water and grab the tail beause they find extra reserves of strength and stamina when you get them into the shallows. Expect a few lunging runs when you get them in close - so be careful of high sticking.

I'd say from the typical sizes around Langebaan the overall fight is roughly equivalent to a fit carp of similar weight. Sandies obviously being long for their weight. And it's not a linear relationship - the bigger sandies get more bulky and pull disproportionately harder and longer.

Look, they'll never win any prizes for being the hardest fighting fish - but a good sized one on a light fly rod will be a thorough test of your angling skill. My biggest one took at least 10 minutes to land - and that would've been much longer if Big Jim had not been there to snatch it by the tail for me
    I wont quickly forget the first one i hooked in the mouth. It was completely unexpected and he flew off!
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

One does not simply....

Spin for Elf

Quote Originally Posted by collin View Post
    Hi guys
    Im in langebaan at the moment
    Any good spots to spin for elf etc

Regards
    Craig

Thanks archerfish
    Shad is an easy target for spinning in the east coast