View Poll Results: How many flies on your rig when nymphing for yellows?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll

64 65.98%

33 34.02%
  • >3

1 1.03%
  • I don't nymph

3 3.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2 or 3 Fly rig? Nymphing for yellow

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    First of all, I am not a competition guy anymore. Secondly, the law does state only two flies, and no distinction is made between different disciplines, ie, bait, lure or fly fishing.
    Having spoken to Dean Impson, at the CPS AGM, he told me that the intention of the law, was to prevent long line subsistence fishing, of a non sustainable nature. It is easier (when neccessary) to enforce a law that exists, rather than to distinguish between different fishing disciplines. The law will always look at the intention behind the activity that infringes the law, and the intention of the law. The intention of the law, is not to prevent sustainable angling from using more than two hooks, but to prevent unsustainable fishing practices. A flyfishrman that is prcticing catch and release with three flies will never be prosecuted, not will a fly fisherman targetting largemouth yellews. The law exists to be used when it is neccessarry.
    Excellent explanation, thanks Andre. That makes much more sense.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

My thoughts are as follows:

I change between 1, 2 or 3 flies depending on the situation.
    Usually when I am fishing for trout on larger streams, I will fish 2 weighted nymphs, 50cm's apart. These are cast out at 45 degrees upstream which allows me to fish two 'lanes' on the bottom. When its a very small river I will change to 1 fly as I am generally pretty sure where the fish would be holding and I don't have that much water to cover - also in these tight situations Im not always able to cast at that angle to keep the flies apart, this leads to bunching and diminished contact with the second fly.

If it is a larger river I usually fish with 3 flies - the key for me is control fly placement.
    1) Control on top dropper: This I use for shallower water. I cast 45 degrees up river and with the control on point. I am able to fish 3 lanes on the bottom. With this method, flies are generally all the same weight.
    2 Control on middle dropper: This creates almost an L shape, with the bottom two droppers fishing 2 lanes on the bottom and an unweighted or lightly weighted fly in top dropper. The is fished about 2foot off the bottom as sometime the fish are not actually hugging the rocks - generally true for slower sections and tailouts. Effectively I am still fishing the bottom two flies with one higher up as a bonus.
    3) Control on point: This I generally use in deep water but only use 2 flies - polish nymphing.

I don't often use dry and dropper (this is a whole new discussion) but If I do, I will lean toward 1 fly in faster water and 2 flies in deeper water.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

I only fish the Orange and even though it's a big river I stick to 2 flies. I just seem to have more control this way. I've tried a 3 fly rig but it appears to be better suited to short casts or czech nymphing, also it doesn't really increase the number of fish I land.
    It might be a case of horses for courses - it all depends on where/how you fish.

these are the genral fips rules, modifications depend on country /state law

last year world champs in slovenia we were limited to one fly on river and lakes
    and now in Norway we allowed 2

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    FIPS Mouche rules are as follows: (International)

ARTICLE 28: COMPETITION FLIES.

28.1. Competitors may use floating or sinking artificial flies.
    28.2. Each fly must be dressed on a single hook, without limit as to size.
    28.3. The length of the dressed fly will be at the discretion of the competitor.
    28.4. Weighted flies are permitted, provided the weight is hidden within the dressing. A single visible bead, not more than 4 mm in its maximum dimension, is also permitted. Painting alone does not constitute dressing.
    28.5. A maximum of three flies is permitted which must not be closer to each other than fifty cm, measured eye to eye, hanging freely.
    28.6. All flies must be attached to the leader in such a way that they do not move or slide.
    28.7. All flies must be dressed on hooks which are barbless, de-barbed or have the barb squeezed down flat.

PS: The last rule has now apparently been modified...ONLY barbless hooks to be used, you can't even use normal hooks with the barb squashed flat anymore.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123