Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Massive Goliath Tiger!

Default Massive Goliath Tiger!

Check the size of this beauty!

In July 2011 Pierre Uys from South Africa hooked and landed a pig of a fish, what dreams are made of. After a long fight and repeated attacks from other large tigers this 40kg hydrocynus goliath female was in the boat... unfortunately she did not survive the battle.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Hey Brian,
    I take it you also saw this one elswhere? It is a great fish, probably older than the person who caught it.

Here is a pic of the new (not sure how true though?) world record goliath of 46kg in the Congo River.

An absolute monster!!!

Wish I could hook one of those on a fly rod!

Imagine one of those on fly
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

These fish get hooked trolling live baits. I am talking about 2-3kg Bream. Once hooked these fish jumps 2-3 meters out the water, sometimes even landing in the boat. I heard of a Trophy Goliath that attacked the side of the boat when it came close to it.

Also take note of the size of the rods these fish get landed on. Your average 12wt is just not going to be enough for these fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Stones View Post
    Hey Brian,
    I take it you also saw this one elswhere? It is a great fish, probably older than the person who caught it.

Here is a pic of the new (not sure how true though?) world record goliath of 46kg in the Congo River.
    Did you now that the recorded depth of this river exceeds 700m in areas , making it one of the deepest flowing rivers in the world.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Holy cow

How did they get that fish on board without a gaff

Can't lip land it, and to tail land a fish of that size is looking for a missing hand

A 48kg fish in a landing net is impossible, I battle to lift a short handled net horizontal with a 4kg fish in it
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    These fish get hooked trolling live baits. I am talking about 2-3kg Bream. Once hooked these fish jumps 2-3 meters out the water, sometimes even landing in the boat. I heard of a Trophy Goliath that attacked the side of the boat when it came close to it.

Also take note of the size of the rods these fish get landed on. Your average 12wt is just not going to be enough for these fish.
    The problem here is not the rod wt, backing or other, it would be setting the hook by hand/reel in that bony large fanged mouth. Even a circle hook will k@k here I scheme.
    DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

ET, have you ever used a 12 wt ? If you can subdue a 40 Kg GT or a 80+ Kg Tarpon on a 12 wt, I don't think you will have problem handling the 40 Kg G Tiger. It is a question of technique, in the hands of a novice an 80 Kg tarpon will take 2 hours, experienced guys do it in less than 40 mins on 20lb IGFA leaders ! ! With it's spectacular jumps and huge strength you can't accuse the tarpon of of being a soft fish. The biggest problem with a tiger ( and tarpon) is setting the hook but no harder on fly than conventional fishing--Same jaw, similar hooks !

Paul as a rodbuilder, building rods from Smallstream Flyrods right to Calstar Rods for Marlin, I know nothing about rods nor their capability, I just build them to fill the extra time that I have on my hands and how you use and fish them is a complete mystery to me.

Sorry I should have googled my first reply a bit more and maybe I should have used something else instead of "your average 12wt" to bring my uninformed point across.

I will however in future if time permits, maybe try and fish one or two of my own rods just to get a feel of what a rod can do and maybe even catch a fish or two if beginners luck is on my side, maybe then I could actually talk about things I now know nothing about.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast