Thread: Kalkfontein Dam

Default Kalkfontein Dam

Situated 100km from Bloem near the town of Koffiefontein,this dam has huge potential.I was there 10 years ago and remember catching countless yellows with bait.This past weekend i decided to revisit the place.The Riet river(famous for lilydale)flows into this dam.The dam is way bigger than i ever remember.I looked at the stats and its got a 1/3 more holding capacity than midmar dam.When we arrived we went to a very wide river mouth and the yellows were very active.It seemed like it was going to be a good day,despite the cold front that passed over night.Not to be.
    All was calm until we started setting up,then the wind turned up and started pumping,the whole day.It churned up the water instatntly from not too bad vizibilty too nothing at all.I managed one barbel in a quiter bay but saw no yellow activity at all.We did however explore the area and it really looks promising for future trips,especially when it starts getting warmer,especially the dam water which still felt a little cold too me.
    I intended posting some nice pics of the place but my camera also gave in the weekend.I was very surprised to see how well kept the reserve is and how neat the ablusions are,and spread around the dam are extremely neat long drop toilets.I also think a boat is the option at this dam as it is way too big too try walk to every spot.There are some sections that seem around 4km wide with awesome looking water and islands spread throughout the dam.
    I will keep posting as we go and see whether the yellows start showing their face anytime soon.I attached some pics taken on my phone.

Pics:Some really nice rocky areas.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks very similar to the Gariep Dam, especially on the opposite side of Aventura. This Dam is a scary place, we hooked fish on conventional tackle that juts kept running and running, eventually breaking us off.

We did a night session where the boats enter through the gorge to get into the main dam and boy did it get hairy out there

The one day we went out on a yacht and that was great fun, back in the bay we were ready to park when the depth finder siren went bizerk, we didn't see anything but the old man who's yacht it was mentioned that the big Barbel liked taking shelter under the boats, that was a bloody scary moment out on that water

Hey Core fly,
    I remeber seeing this dam a while back whilst doing business up that way but never fished there.
    My quess, since it gets unbelievably cold at night and in the mornings in that area, that this dam would maybe wake up later in the day and would probably be a very successful mid - late summer dam.

Would be interesting to know though?

Cheers and good luck!

I think aswell when the season is later and the waters warmer its be a great venue.Water clarity should also improve dramatically as it does not have a real inflow of water during the none rainy times

I know a guy who fishes that dam regularly. The photo I put up a while back of the big barbel is from there. Let me know when you go again and I will put you in touch with him. Dont think he fishes for yellows much though. He pulled out another 32kg fish two weeks ago.
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."
    ~by Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly