Thread: The green horn...:-)

Arrow The green horn...:-)

Hey guys, just another guy that picked up a fly rod and said "hey, this is much better than pap gooi" :-)

To start with I got a explorer classic II combo setup. Came with a leader, floating line a backing.
    As a kid would do with a new toy, I played with it till the sun went down and I must say, the casting ain't that much of a train smash. 30m+ is very easy to reach but getting the tippett to land softly is so much fun!

Well this weekend I'm hitting a local fishing spot, trout and bass in abundance as the owner would say. I was even told that I WILL catch a fish. We shall see. Last 5 pap gooi trips I blanked out. Not even a bite or a run. Sitting at that dam, looking out over that dirty water, casting all the expensive, smelly, looki carp baits I can think of with no success has been more soul destroying than I would have liked to experience.
    But as they say, in with the good and out with the bad.
    Hope to see any of you guys out there one day. Thank you to all of you for promoting the sport and because of you, one more person joined the hunt for that 70cm+ rainbow.
    Oh, any tips and tricks would be super welcome.
    Cheers for now
    J

Welcome Janus. Enjoy the forum. Use the search function as there is a wealth of knowledge on here.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Welcome Janus! Enjoy the forum. Here you will leran lods!

I sent you a PM
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"The harder you try, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

Hi Janus,

Welcome to fly fishing! When you have gotten your trout you should try fishing the vaal for yellowfish, it's great fun..

Regards
    I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Janus you can use pap to target Trout and if it is stocked dams, any fly will work as long as it is an Epol fly

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    Janus you can use pap to target Trout and if it is stocked dams, any fly will work as long as it is an Epol fly
    Diddle daddle popcorn is FAR superior
    Barend Esterhuizen Pr Eng

"But engineering isn't about perfect solutions; it's about doing the best you can with limited resources."
    The last lecture, Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Janus View Post
    Hey guys, just another guy that picked up a fly rod and said "hey, this is much better than pap gooi" :-)

To start with I got a explorer classic II combo setup. Came with a leader, floating line a backing.
    As a kid would do with a new toy, I played with it till the sun went down and I must say, the casting ain't that much of a train smash. 30m+ is very easy to reach but getting the tippett to land softly is so much fun!

Well this weekend I'm hitting a local fishing spot, trout and bass in abundance as the owner would say. I was even told that I WILL catch a fish. We shall see. Last 5 pap gooi trips I blanked out. Not even a bite or a run. Sitting at that dam, looking out over that dirty water, casting all the expensive, smelly, looki carp baits I can think of with no success has been more soul destroying than I would have liked to experience.
    But as they say, in with the good and out with the bad.
    Hope to see any of you guys out there one day. Thank you to all of you for promoting the sport and because of you, one more person joined the hunt for that 70cm+ rainbow.
    Oh, any tips and tricks would be super welcome.
    Cheers for now
    J
    Jees 30m is a pretty decent cast unless I've missed something. A whole standard length fly line and 3m of backing took me 5 years to reach.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    Koos!!! you forgot the echoli VAAL fly.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by dtayl13 View Post
    Jees 30m is a pretty decent cast unless I've missed something. A whole standard length fly line and 3m of backing took me 5 years to reach.
    So did you catch any fish at that distance??? Try closer with more feel to your leader and tippet.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.