Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing Management at Zandvlei...

Thumbs up

Howzit Buz,

Thanks for the feedback, kindly keep us all posted. I still stand amazed at the +-22kg leerie that was caught (on fly) and released in the Zandvlei system a few years ago and hope that the system and fish species will survive...

Regards
    Barend Badenhorst

"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~by Chuck Clark~

Quote Originally Posted by Flubber View Post
    Howzit Buz,

Thanks for the feedback, kindly keep us all posted. I still stand amazed at the +-22kg leerie that was caught (on fly) and released in the Zandvlei system a few years ago and hope that the system and fish species will survive...

Regards
    I would suggest people make an effort to attend. Fishing rights are under threat at Zandvlei.

The point was made that fishing had not been incorporated into any of the zones, despite the fact that there are a significant number of people fishing in Zandvlei. It was noted that the consultants had only been able to locate limited information available on fishing within the reserve, but the intention was to include fishing in to appropriate zones. There were also a number of comments around the secondary impacts of fishing on the nature reserve, primarily as a result of poor fishing practices – for example, impacts on birds caused by abandoned hooks, fishing line etc. It was proposed that a Code of Conduct for fishermen should be introduced.

Note the high-lighted text. The CPS was approached for comment by the Estuary manager Pierre de Villiers on the recommendation of Dean Impson and he agreed to set up a meeting. He never got back to me after repeated follow up emails.
    MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD.
    Last edited by BuzzLiteBeer; 02-02-12 at 10:21 AM.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Default Zandvlei management

Howzit Buzz,

Thanks for the posts on Zandvlei again, we were fishing there last Sunday and judging from the action we saw just before daybreak and shortly after the system is reasonably healthy, lots of mullet and a few leeries around... One of 3.6kg was landed and released (unfortunately not mine - all credit to Andy, a local who's been fishing there for years). Water was 22 degrees Celcius, probably due to the scorching weather we have had as well.

Would be nice if they can open the mouth again, I heard that the leeries are fewer in number but bigger on average this year... No saltwater or fish can enter the system though.

Keep us posted on the happenings. Will try to attend the meeting but family comes first...

Regards
    Barend Badenhorst

"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~by Chuck Clark~

Quote Originally Posted by Flubber View Post
    Howzit Buzz,

Thanks for the posts on Zandvlei again, we were fishing there last Sunday and judging from the action we saw just before daybreak and shortly after the system is reasonably healthy, lots of mullet and a few leeries around... One of 3.6kg was landed and released (unfortunately not mine - all credit to Andy, a local who's been fishing there for years). Water was 22 degrees Celcius, probably due to the scorching weather we have had as well.

Would be nice if they can open the mouth again, I heard that the leeries are fewer in number but bigger on average this year... No saltwater or fish can enter the system though.

Keep us posted on the happenings. Will try to attend the meeting but family comes first...

Regards
    Hi Barend. That's good news. The mouth is opened once a month on spring high tide to allow passage of fish and salt water. (Costs R20K last time I checked.)

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzLiteBeer View Post
    Hi Barend. That's good news. The mouth is opened once a month on spring high tide to allow passage of fish and salt water. (Costs R20K last time I checked.)
    Correction the mouth is opened at least 9 times per year at spring high and remains open for 5 days at a time. Still costs R20K.

I just got back from this meeting and there are ominous signs of the vlei being zoned for various activities. This may mean that you will be restricted wrt the areas you may fish, paddle your kayak etc. It seems there has been no consultation with the fishing community at all. Of the organizations that are proposed for representation on a "Zandvlei Role Players Forum", none represent fishing.

Default Zandvlei-slaughter of garrick at vlei entrance

Anyone heard anything about the leerie massacre at Zandvlei on Monday night 12-03-2012?

Extract from an email I received....

I drove past sandvlei bridge towards surfers corner at 22h30 last night and noticed a crowd at the river mouth.I stopped to check what was happening and was appalled to see the decimation of mostly undersized Leerfish. There were some huge specimens taken as well.These were in the 85 to 90cm range. I learnt from one of the "anglers"that they caught more last night (friday) than this evening.One guy apparently caught 16 fish.This is only hearsay though.This evening (Saturday)one of the anglers had already caught 6 Leerfish by the time I had got there and while I was there he had caught another 2.I asked if it was not illegal to take so much fish and was told something about my mothers anatomy above her knees and below her navel.I definately did not see myself get into a fight with a ruly mob of testosterone filled thugs without my usual suspects to whatch my back so I decided to call reinforcements.To my disbelief NOBODY answered the phone at MCM.I decided to leave and come post this on sealine.

Juan Nomdo
    Environmental Coordinator
    Environmental Resource and Heritage Management
    Metro Office
    Last edited by BuzzLiteBeer; 15-03-12 at 08:47 PM.

This would be very SAD if its True....Ive never seën leeries up by the Bridge Cos the waters too low....either way this System is on a downward spiral out of control....no policing is stopping activities of this kind.....as negative at it may sound i dont wish to be on a zandvlei baord trying to stop the likes of lavender Hill having there way.....
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Default Zandvlei public meeting

Please attend the public meeting regarding the process for the establishment of the Zandvlei Estuary Management Forum on 27 March. Details below.
    There is a major problem with law enforcement at Zandvlei. This from Cassandra Sheasby the Zandvlei conservation area manager: "Our conservation officers for the south have had their Peace Officer cards stripped by Safety and Security. Until that issue is resolved, we have very few people that can enforce the vlei by law and our Peace Officers don’t have Fisheries Control Officer appointments so they cannot enforce the Marine Living Resource Act."

The standby conservation South Peninsula number you can call to report incidents:

Dear All,
    As a result of some concerns which have arisen regarding the process for the establishment of the Zandvlei Estuary Management Forum, and the fact we ran short of time at the last Public Meeting to address issues raised by local organisations and members of the public, it has been decided to postpone the first meeting of the ZEMF and to instead have a second Public Meeting to address these issues. The details of this meeting are as follows:
    Date: 27th March, 2012
    Time: 17:00 - 19:00
    Venue: Muizenberg Pavilion
    Apologies for the late notice, but this was, in fact the date scheduled for the 1st meeting of the ZEMF, although of course the times have been altered.
    A draft agenda is attached, and you are encouraged to identify ahead of time issues which you would like to address during the meeting.
    Regards,
    Lynn
    Lynn Jackson
    Coastal & Environmental Consulting
    1 Karakal Road,
    Hout Bay, Cape Town,
    South Africa
    Tel: +27-21-7903076
    Mobile: 083-4067666

Default 2nd Public Meeting

CAPE Estuaries Programme: Facilitation of the Estuary Management Plan (EMP) for the Zandvlei Estuary,
    Muizenberg, Cape Town

Public Meeting
    17:00 – 19:00 : 27th March, 2012
    Muizenberg Pavilion

PROGRAMME

Time Topic

17:00 – 17:10 Welcome and introductions
    17:10 – 18:00 Outline of the EMP Process, including the establishment, structure, chair and role of the Estuary Management Forum
    Discussion
    18:00 – 19:00 Open discussion on issues raised by local organisations and residents.

Default I can vouch for that...

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    This would be very SAD if its True....Ive never seën leeries up by the Bridge Cos the waters too low....either way this System is on a downward spiral out of control....no policing is stopping activities of this kind.....as negative at it may sound i dont wish to be on a zandvlei baord trying to stop the likes of lavender Hill having there way.....
    Stephen,

Howzit, I heard rumours of a 7kg leerie taken by a local flyfishing lady during last week, I saw a bloody big fish (+-1.5m size) surfacing on Sunday morning whilst fishing. (Leeries are mainly caught closer to the yacht club.) Pity it would not even look at the fly... Zandvlei can be a gem, if you are in the right area, if the conditions are right and the fish arrive...

Regards
    Barend Badenhorst

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast