Page 435 of 437 FirstFirst ... 335 385 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 LastLast
Results 4,341 to 4,350 of 4368

Thread: WC Streams report back

Quote Originally Posted by MR.GT View Post
    We Spent yesterday on SB2 (Helderwater)

Caught no fish, I saw 1 fish but not sure if it was a trout.
    Big hatches of mayflies early in the morning but no rises (Like no rises/boils/jumping during the day).

So either my nymphing skills suck really badly or my buddy can`t get a drag free drift or as I choose to believe the drought hit the bottom part of the SB system harder than I thought.
    Anybody body else have some luck on the lower SB & Molenaars beats? Or opinions?

One thing I can note is that the water is noticeably warmer than last year opening season weekend. I remember walking into Molenaars upper and getting that pins and needles feeling in my legs from the cold water compared to the cold but not that bad water temp of the weekend.
    had the very same experience on EP1 yesterday. huge mayfly hatch but no action at all. one fish came out in top weir pool and not a single other fish spotted the entire day. water wasn't freezing cold. my cell phone decided to cool down in the pool and I ended up getting a hook in my back due to an error in judgement.
    Last edited by Jason vL; 04-09-17 at 02:24 PM.
    Doug Larson said, "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Sheesh, that is some very sad feedback. Anyone else?
    Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Scullery

My son and I fished SB1 on the 2nd. He got 3 fish and I got 1. Really grim start to the season. Also, no rises and no other fish seen. The water was still a bit high so I struggled to get nymphs down deep enough .... but jeez, one fish!

I have booked SB3 for Sunday but I am in need of a buddy. Anybody up for it?
    Don't mind going alone but sharing is caring and safer!
    So tell me.... How Big's yours?

I have booked SB3 for Sunday but I am in need of a buddy. Anybody up for it?
    Don't mind going alone but sharing is caring and safer!
    Sent you a PM

Quote Originally Posted by MattGeri View Post
    Sent you a PM
    Great!
    See PM!

Sorry - i forgot to report back.

I fished SB3 on opening saturday. Also limited action from fish. If i didnt see a fish actively feeding, i didnt get any takes. If i saw a fish feeding, they would take the fly, and i would then proceed to completely screw up the fight and lose the fish, only landing 1 in the end.

for that weekend, my opinion was that the flows were slightly on the high side, and were subsiding from being higher due to the rain a few days before. I think this resulted in the fish sitting under rocks and not yet being acclimatized fully to the subsiding levels. I would have thought it would improve this weekend as the levels should have stabilised by now and fish should be far more out and about.

It will be interesting to hear how it goes.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Spent yesterday on SB3. Went "quite well" I suppose, found quite a good number of fish and fish activity but...

(So I am a broken man today in so many ways.)
    Managed to positively hook & fight 4 fish(lost all of them!!!), had a missed take on the nymph as I set he/she spat the fly.

I am trying to figure out what went wrong. With 3 of the 4 fish lost the knot parted. the other one of the 4 I lost because I was scared the knot would part and didn`t apply enough pressure so it got off...
    But the knots parting is what baffles me... I have been fishing the Davy knot for about 2.5 years now and very rarely have I had the knot break, more often the tippet would part but not the knot itself.
    Anybody experience something similar or have an alternative knot I could try? The reason I like the Davy if its low profile, ease of tying and ability to not damage the line while seating it.
    Or was it just one of those days where it all went wrong.

I was chatting to one of the guys at Frontier fly fishing about a month ago. The conversation centered around tippet material and I was lamenting how I had had numerous fish come off at Lakenvlei. I use mono and his explanation was thus; During manufacture, nylon is drawn through a die and this aligns the molecules up. Exposure to sunlight breaks these strands weakening the line. This parting of the strands will continue even when the mono is packed away. It was recommended to me to replace my tippet material seasonally.

If you are using older tippet material this could be the cause, there is always a little damage to the line when tying a knot so it is the most likely place to break.

P.S. Not a expert on fishing lines but I did give my old tippet spools to a buddy;-)

Spent yesterday on SB3. Went "quite well" I suppose, found quite a good number of fish and fish activity but...

(So I am a broken man today in so many ways.)
    Managed to positively hook & fight 4 fish(lost all of them!!!), had a missed take on the nymph as I set he/she spat the fly.

I am trying to figure out what went wrong. With 3 of the 4 fish lost the knot parted. the other one of the 4 I lost because I was scared the knot would part and didn`t apply enough pressure so it got off...
    But the knots parting is what baffles me... I have been fishing the Davy knot for about 2.5 years now and very rarely have I had the knot break, more often the tippet would part but not the knot itself.
    Anybody experience something similar or have an alternative knot I could try? The reason I like the Davy if its low profile, ease of tying and ability to not damage the line while seating it.
    Or was it just one of those days where it all went wrong.
    Certain Monofilamnets hold certain knots better than other.
    Use the Pitzen knot, easier to tie than Davy.
    I will do a little SBS on Pitzen and the easy way to tie it.
    you will never use another knot.
    (there are 'dificult' ways to tie the Pitzen, trust me, my way is the easiest)

Some methods have a long tag etc, i have less than 1 to 0,5 centimeter. NO TIPPET WASTAGE.
    Last edited by Korrie; 18-09-17 at 01:22 PM.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 435 of 437 FirstFirst ... 335 385 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 LastLast