Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How many pieces??

Default How many pieces??

Was just wondering what difference it makes to a rod the amount of sections it comes in? I suppose the obvious advantage of a 4/5/6 piece is its easier to travel with,but does it have any effect on the rods abilty and strength the more or less sections in comes in, would a rod made from a single piece of Carbon (a 1 piece) be any stronger than a 5 piece for example? or would it be better to cast or less likley or more likley to break...
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

My logic, uneducated feeling say's that the more pices to a rod would make it "stiffer", if that would make it faster or stronger I do not know.
    Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."

~by Roderick Haig-Brown

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    Was just wondering what difference it makes to a rod the amount of sections it comes in? I suppose the obvious advantage of a 4/5/6 piece is its easier to travel with,but does it have any effect on the rods abilty and strength the more or less sections in comes in, would a rod made from a single piece of Carbon (a 1 piece) be any stronger than a 5 piece for example? or would it be better to cast or less likley or more likley to break...
    Rod designs are 'adjusted' for the stiff sections created by the ferrules, provided its not a cheapie.
    Regards
    Craig

What I've heard (i say heard because I havent had nearly enough rods in my time to speak from experience) is that when 3 and 4 piece rods started becoming popular there was a difference in performance, but with the huge technological advances that have been made over the years the difference has become almost negligible.

Quote Originally Posted by saml View Post
    What I've heard (i say heard because I havent had nearly enough rods in my time to speak from experience) is that when 3 and 4 piece rods started becoming popular there was a difference in performance, but with the huge technological advances that have been made over the years the difference has become almost negligible.
    Only when you cast and fish 1-piece and 2-piece rods you will notice how much of a difference there actually is.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Agreed Mario,

I will stick to my 2 piece rods. a 4 piece is the permanent resident in the car.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Only when you cast and fish 1-piece and 2-piece rods you will notice how much of a difference there actually is.
    This is interesting Mario, i thought this thread would have got a few more opinions on the subject but alas 122 views oly 4 comments maybe you can give some insight as a respected rod bulider on why you say this?
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Nic there really is a big difference in the bend and the smooth action of a 1 or 2 piece rod. The 4 and 5 piece can sometimes feel a bit artificial. There really is a big difference although you will be told differently by most. Just my humble opinion.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    This is interesting Mario, i thought this thread would have got a few more opinions on the subject but alas 122 views oly 4 comments maybe you can give some insight as a respected rod bulider on why you say this?
    Nic, my comment is all based on feel, and very little on anything else. I was sold on multi-piece rods until I recently fished a Harvest 2-piece, and a Don Phillips 2-piece again. Man, the difference is huge. Smooth it not the word!!

In laymens terms, you can imagine that the more sections, the more overlaps you have. This means (for the same materials used) that you have "double thickness" walls in several places on your rod. It does affect the action, even if it is not always detectable to everyone.

I must also add, on properly researched tapers, actions and combined with proper/"correct" materials, it should be okay.

I'm pretty sure someone like Neil or any other more knowlegable rod builder can explain this better, or even prove me wrong.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

You can lay out a four piece rod on the ground to form a square. With a three piece rod you can only do a triangle at best.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast