Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Catching eels

I know of 2 instances where an eel was caught on the Elanspad 1 weir pool on fly.

It definitley gave the fly fishers a "skrik"

The last thing you expect to come up when you are fishing a heavy fly for a lunker in the pool.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

FlyFanatic Banned User

interesting! i think you will have to be prepared to lose lots of flies to these buggers, since they really fight dirty, (wrap themselves around anything submerged) , read about it in micheal solomon's book "Varswater hengel in SA". Its an old book, but has some good info and tips. He discribes how to catch them on bait though.

Will get it when im at home again, and see what info i can post here for you guys.

Cheers

Go read the story of YELLOW-BELLIED BESS in A MEAN-MOUTHED, HOOK-JAWED, BAD-NEWS, SON-OF-A-FISH. it'll tell you everything you ever wanted to know, plus a bunch of stuff you probably don't......

(Sorry Pierre ~ hope this isnt regarded as parasite marketing. If it breaks the rule, I'll expect it to be 'moderated' out of existence)

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    I know of 2 instances where an eel was caught on the Elanspad 1 weir pool on fly.

It definitley gave the fly fishers a "skrik"

The last thing you expect to come up when you are fishing a heavy fly for a lunker in the pool.
    Elandspad 1 weir pool here I come!!
    BOSHOF! wil jy huis toe gaan? Jaa samajoor! JY KANNIE!

The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick

The only eel i know of coming out of elandspad was on bait (fresh bass) and carp tackle. It was weir pool one and a few were caught. Apparently they were quite big. For the sake of reputations I won't metion names.

Quote Originally Posted by Surly Ghillie View Post
    Go read the story of YELLOW-BELLIED BESS in A MEAN-MOUTHED, HOOK-JAWED, BAD-NEWS, SON-OF-A-FISH. it'll tell you everything you ever wanted to know, plus a bunch of stuff you probably don't......

(Sorry Pierre ~ hope this isnt regarded as parasite marketing. If it breaks the rule, I'll expect it to be 'moderated' out of existence)
    Interesting read... I read this years ago but reading this jogged my memory.

A question, do a fly made from fur strips off fresh (or stinking old) roadkill still classify as a fly?
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3