Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Sage Salt

Probably won't do any harm I was just lazy to clean my rod and then forgot about it cause that particular day was my last fishing day before I took a sabatical....

Quote Originally Posted by The Largie Whisperer View Post
    Probably won't do any harm I was just lazy to clean my rod and then forgot about it cause that particular day was my last fishing day before I took a sabatical....

Hehehehehe

Where did it "muf/mif/muff"?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Die grip.....

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    I seriously cannot understand the gripe with expensive fishing tackle!! We spend far more on total crap that is consumed in no time at all and adds absolutely zero worth to our lives
    Like wedding cakes. R10 000+ for a cake is not that uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by BenzoV View Post
    Like wedding cakes. R10 000+ for a cake is not that uncommon.
    Seriously?

I don't get out much and had the sense to get married (and stay married) in the day when FILs paid and I only got stuck with a very reasonable bar bill. Mind you in Ireland the average working class wedding costs R400k (I lived there for 3 years).

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Okay, so +-1K for a brand new LL ... I guess some people would have taken those odds (seeing Neil picked up a used LL for 2.5K).

Maybe the newer (and more expensive) rods are all resistant to being stored wet??? Maybe that's where the extra price-tag comes from?
    I wouldn't put a new expensive rod to the test Mario. What happened is that the dampness softened the coating which in turn went a kind of milky opaque, much like the ring that is left on a varnished surface when you put a wet coffee mug on it. I allowed the rod to dry out completely but the opaque colour remained and no amount of polishing would restore it to its former glory. Closer inspection also revealed tiny little blisters. Perhaps the age of the rod has something to do with it, years of UV exposure could have caused the surface coating to break-down. The rod was about 10 years old at the time.
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 04-09-14 at 06:07 AM.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Chris, I cant understand why you didn't claim on the warranty. I had surface problems with a rod,, of doesn't seem to have been quite as bad as yours, but the rod was replaced, with no questions asked. Are you sure you hadn't try to modify the surface in any way, like sand paper the shine off? because this would have cancelled the warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    I wouldn't put a new expensive rod to the test Mario. What happened is that the dampness softened the coating which in turn went a kind of milky opaque, much like the ring that is left on a varnished surface when you put a wet coffee mug on it. I allowed the rod to dry out completely but the opaque colour remained and no amount of polishing would restore it to its former glory. Closer inspection also revealed tiny little blisters. Perhaps the age of the rod has something to do with it, years of UV exposure could have caused the surface coating to break-down. The rod was about 10 years old at the time.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    I wouldn't put a new expensive rod to the test Mario.
    It was slightly tongue-in-cheek Chris
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Chris, I cant understand why you didn't claim on the warranty. I had surface problems with a rod,, of doesn't seem to have been quite as bad as yours, but the rod was replaced, with no questions asked. Are you sure you hadn't try to modify the surface in any way, like sand paper the shine off? because this would have cancelled the warranty.
    Hi Andre. That's just the thing, and I did mention this before. When I noticed the blistering I should have packed the rod and shipped it off like that, but a thumbnail test started flaking the coating. I then proceeded to strip the rest of the tip section with steel wool. My thinking was that I would send in the butt section as evidence of the blistering. After emailing Sage, they said I must send back the butt and tip sections. After mentioning this to some of you guys, I was told that I would probably forfeit my warranty because I had now tampered with the tip section. I am not prepared to go through a R1000 exercise to possibly be told exactly that. If I had the guarantee that Sage will replace the rod regardless then I will gladly spend the grand.
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 04-09-14 at 08:32 AM.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Chris

Speak to John at upstream or Mike at Frontiers. Worth it.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast