Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fly tying benches

Default Fly tying benches

Hi guys, sometimes my creative mind gets the better of me.. I found some nice fly tying benches at oasis for all of you to drool over!! Has any1 bought some of these? Or made their own? These benches are quite pricey.. they look awesome though.. Im thinking of getting or making one for my self.. Share your own benches or let me know if you know of someone that can make me one!

Cheers

G

I'm probably gonna get slated but ja that's how it goes.

In my opinion those are rubbish.If you are serious about tying flies on big scale(any hard core tier does,not even mentioning production tiers) then you will run out of space in no time.If you are after having fun and tie 10 flies per month which in itself is fine I haven't got issues with it, then go for it.

Personally I love my space.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 24-03-10 at 01:31 PM.

I agree, Im going after it because I dont tie hundreds of flies it just seems very compact and neat.. I want something like the lazy susan to just keep my tools and threads neatly together.. It just looks great...

What can I say.. Im a sucker for gadgets and fancy smancy thingamagigs..

Me too but kom nou tjom! I am so frustrated with my current set up but once I move into a new house I'll have a dedicated room JUST for tying.

My "dedicated" room is the dining room table... and the other half moans like crazy.. I thought this could be a move in the right direction... Dit lyk so moi!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    Me too but kom nou tjom! I am so frustrated with my current set up but once I move into a new house I'll have a dedicated room JUST for tying.
    Gerrit I have my own tying room and it still frustrates the hell out of me. I now have a small spare table in the lounge as well as in the bedroom right under the air conditioners. My wife though it will be waste of time putting a aircon in my tying room so now i am ever so slowly starting to take over the house

I agree though that those tying benches are not so great and not worth the effort.
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."
    ~by Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

good feelings gone..

Hear hear Morne, neem alles oor! Dis als vir 'n goeie doel...

Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    Hi guys, sometimes my creative mind gets the better of me.. I found some nice fly tying benches at oasis for all of you to drool over!! Has any1 bought some of these? Or made their own? These benches are quite pricey.. they look awesome though.. Im thinking of getting or making one for my self.. Share your own benches or let me know if you know of someone that can make me one!

Cheers

G
    These "desks" are really nice when you tie a couple of flies, of a design at one time. Sort of production tying.
    To tie a couple of different flies, the space gets limited for the materials.
    See here
    http://globalflyfisher.com/tiebetter/tour_de_france/

http://globalflyfisher.com/tiebetter/tying_bench/
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    good feelings gone..
    I dig them.. I think they are awesome and have considered making one for myself.. I unfortunately at the moment don't have the facilities or tools at hand to do so... They serve their application! If you going away for the weekend or something like that, then they perfect.. If you tie on a regular basis, then you would want a desk due to space and accessories etc..

I would like to build a full sized proper fly tying desk as well as mobile tying contraption for my vice when away...
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast