Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Email to Oord Nebo - 10/03/2011

I fished nebo this weekend (thought I'd see for myself what all the drama was about). When I paid at the front desk the young lad explained that fishing was catch and release only and that the yellows where spawning so I should avoid the shallow gravel beds. So seems the message has got through. I also sat and watched some some huge yellows spawning - and observed two young FF walk around them

As usual the local kids where bait fishing in the first channel below the challets - but I don't hold that against then.
    Last edited by firephish; 17-10-11 at 08:50 AM.
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

I had the same experience as Firephish when I fished there on Saturday. Good to see that progress is being made.

Quote Originally Posted by firephish View Post
    I fished nebo this weekend (thought I'd see for myself what all the drama was about). When I paid at the front desk the young lad explained that fishing was catch and release only and that the yellows where spawning so I should avoid the shallow gravel beds. So seems the message has got through. I also sat and watched some some huge yellows spawning - and observed two young FF walk around them

As usual the local kids where bait fishing in the first channel below the challets - but I don't hold that against then.
    This is excellent news. At least they are making an effort.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

That is good news.

In instances like this I think that the way that the message is delivered is very important. A good message delivered in the wrong way is much less likely to be acted on.

Just something to consider for any future education initiatives for some of the other venues we may encounter this type of activity at.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

We need your help.
    I have managed to get the Premier's office involved - and they now need our help.

Please see the thread.

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=9903

On that note: I went to Nebo this week-end. When I booked in the lady asked me if I am aware of the Yellowfish regulations etc. That was awesome!
    The people running Nebo fully understands where we are coming from but was previously unaware. They are desperate for our help and are really good people trying to make a living. We should help them wherever we can!

I also saw the work done by Herman - Well done - and also the flies for sale at Nebo (Hoped they are de barbed)

Thanks Herman.

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    We need your help.
    I have managed to get the Premier's office involved - and they now need our help.

Please see the thread.

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=9903

On that note: I went to Nebo this week-end. When I booked in the lady asked me if I am aware of the Yellowfish regulations etc. That was awesome!
    The people running Nebo fully understands where we are coming from but was previously unaware. They are desperate for our help and are really good people trying to make a living. We should help them wherever we can!

I also saw the work done by Herman - Well done - and also the flies for sale at Nebo (Hoped they are de barbed)

Thanks Herman.
    Nice work. Partnership with the resort can only benefit all parties.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Just got this from Peter Arderne and sharing....

It is really encouraging to hear that some destinations are prepared to address the problem. He also raises the matter of people either wading from neighbouring properties or the opposite bank which is a difficult issue to resolve. If you are going to the OVRYMCA meeting this should be raised as well. In addition Brandon’s group can have a look at this.
    Regards,
    Peter

Wouldn't it be ironic if the people ranting and raving weren't members of FOSAF

Hi Guys,

How can I get involved to protect our yellowfish? I'm going to Oord Nebo this weekend. I will have a look if managment is able to do some effort controlling the banks for anglers not releasing any yellowfish.

We really need to do something. I heard stories of bank anglers catch yellows and cook them right then and there. Sad, but the truth!!

Tight Lines

Marko Kleynhans

Quote Originally Posted by Menofish View Post
    Hi Guys,

How can I get involved to protect our yellowfish? I'm going to Oord Nebo this weekend. I will have a look if managment is able to do some effort controlling the banks for anglers not releasing any yellowfish.

We really need to do something. I heard stories of bank anglers catch yellows and cook them right then and there. Sad, but the truth!!

Tight Lines

Marko Kleynhans
    Hi Marko

Welcome to the Forum.

Please note that they are within their rights to keep and cook two yellows of more than 30cm. More than that you need to have a chat to them.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast