Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sage One #3 7'6 teamed with a Waterworks Lamson Lightspeed 1,5

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Agreed with it all, except the ZXL part. The Z-Axis, not the ZXL, was replaced by the One. The ZXL is now being replaced by the Circa, so good luck in finding one. Really amazing stream rods - and a pity they are no longer available. Nellie, if you could find a 486 it would be golden!!!!
    Agreed... Z-axis replaced with the ONE.
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Agreed with it all, except the ZXL part. The Z-Axis, not the ZXL, was replaced by the One. The ZXL is now being replaced by the Circa, so good luck in finding one. Really amazing stream rods - and a pity they are no longer available. Nellie, if you could find a 486 it would be golden!!!!

Oops. My bad. Yes - ZXL replaced by the Circa.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Tx for all the info. Just a silly question but why would a sage one 3 weight 9 foot not be a good choice?
    Pls excuse my ignorance!

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    Tx for all the info. Just a silly question but why would a sage one 3 weight 9 foot not be a good choice?
    Pls excuse my ignorance!
    Well, the 9 foot would be a better choice than the 7'6 that you originally asked about. It really depends on how you will be fishing it of course, so the question should probably go back to you...why do you think it will be a good choice? what are you basing your evaluation on?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Hi Guys
    Just asking all the questions so that I can make the right choices, tx for the info thus far.

Hi Nellie

The conditions you want to fish the rod are quite diverse.

Both rods would be a good option, but the 9' rod would be better for the light yellows and the 7'6" better for the light trout.
    This is mainly due to the different approaches needed for the two species.

Both rods are great for throwing dry's or nymphs and both are light and responsive in the hand.

Immateriality of which one you choose the line will make a huge difference.
    Although a textured GPX will be a great all round line, a double tapper trout tapper might be better as it allows for better mending. A textured trout stalker will give you great presentation with a dry fly on small ponds, but it might lack the ability to turn over nymphs on small streams.

As for the reel, a Click III is going to balance the 7'6", and the 4230 balance the 9', as the swing weight is quite far away from the grip on the longer rod.

Hope this helps

Regards

Hi Nellie,

As I mentioned in your other thread, there really are a number of options... As mentioned, it may be best to head down to one of the fly shops to cast a few.. Then I can help you once you've decided.
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2