Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: General purpose yellowfish rod on the Vaal.

Default General purpose yellowfish rod on the Vaal.

Having joined the elite with my first Sage rod purchase today , a 5wt VXP, paired with a 3-tand TF50 and rio indicator line, I was wondering is there a general purpose rod for the Vaal? When I started flyfishing Xplorer had just bought out the Classic one, and I fished the 6/7 two piece for the first half of 10 years of flyfishing. I liked it so much I bought 3 others. Casting dries and normal 2 tandem NZ rigs and even odd #8-4 MSP or deerhair pattern for a largie. The rod has accounted for my biggest smallie and largie, and with the click and pawl stealth reel and later killwell genesis that stood the fight of a 9lb largie.
    But as the salary grew I wanted beter rods and reels. I bought a Redington Voyant...super fast and stuff...real broomstick, casts like a dream as long as your timing is good, but having a stuff upper tip section it was not good for dries.

Now I'm asking....is there one rod, preferably a 6wt rod, 3-4 piece, 9ft ( I don't do CZ, mono or french nymphing so 10ft is lost on me) that could do the job? Cast 2 nymph tandem NZ rigs, 10-15 meters upstream, and still be able to cast 15-20meters #8-6 goto's and muishonde and also be able to cast nice enough (not perfect) a dry in the late afternoon? I know there is no perfect rod for this, there will be some give and take, but I'm willing to live with it. It should be a rod with a fast action, have enough backbone to push bigger flies and weighted nymph rig, but tip be sensitive enough and enough flex to be able to fish a little bit of dry flies once in a while.
    I have been looking at the Xplorer T50 and the Greys FX2 Streamflex thus far.....lets say R3000-4500 range?
    A jack of all trades, master of none rod for the Vaal.... a real mongrel that would adapt to most situations.
    Last edited by Barbus13; 12-08-14 at 05:43 PM.
    Dirk Human

Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.

Most likely the ONE 690, but the VXP in 690 is a pretty good stick too actually. The guys who know the Vaal will be able to answer my personal question on this ... How much diffs is there between a 5 and a 6?? I usually skip a weight in rods (#00, #1, #3, #5) ... Okay, I have a #4 as well, but that's just because I wanted one
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Most likely the ONE 690, but the VXP in 690 is a pretty good stick too actually. The guys who know the Vaal will be able to answer my personal question on this ... How much diffs is there between a 5 and a 6?? I usually skip a weight in rods (#00, #1, #3, #5) ... Okay, I have a #4 as well, but that's just because I wanted one
    Hi Mario, so the VXP in 6wt would also be a good option. My #5wt should be here by Friday so no idea on action of the rod. I would fish 5wt on Vaal if you are targeting only smallies in stream, but sometimes a odd largie could appear, and having that extra backbone makes a difference, even with big smallies to turn them as quickly as possible, but like you said, it's my personal opinion and like you love 4wt I am a sucker for a 6wt.
    Dirk Human

Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.

Mario big difference depending on brand everything to do with pulling power and landing big fish in fast currents quickly so a 5wt isn't really the best option imho unless we're talking Jim Teeny. Personally I don't think there is an "all purpose" rod for the Vaal when you're fishing flies that could get you hooked up on a fish in excess of 10kg. I'd rather go 7wt and up for those bad boys but that's just me.

I should have added my style of fishing as it should help with choice. I am mostly wading in the river in knee deep water, with the odd deeper pool between the rapids, and lots of glide water inbetween. So I fish mostly my tandem nymph rig, but normally spend an hour casting a pool for the odd largie, and like I said biggest thus far has been a 4.5kg, so not specializing in hunting them or taking out a boat. Neither would I fish dries the whole day also, maybe the last half an hour of sunlight when I see any rises. So 70% NZ nymphing with 20% streamers for largies and 10% dries.
    Dirk Human

Out of curiosity, have you fished a 10ft rod in your style? I would still think it's the better length rod, especially for mending the line with an indicator, lifting line off the water for casting again etc.

Not trying to start a 9ft vs 10ft debate. If you don't like 10 footers then so be it, just curious.
    Last edited by BenzoV; 12-08-14 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbus13 View Post
    It should be a rod with a fast action, have enough backbone to push bigger flies and weighted nymph rig, but tip be sensitive enough and enough flex to be able to fish a little bit of dry flies once in a while.
    Just on the 10ft rod again, I believe (and stand to be corrected) that the 10ft will give you these characteristics easier. Thicker butt (??) so more power there, and softer tip due to extra length.

Again, just saying. If you hate a 10ft then that's fine.
    Last edited by BenzoV; 12-08-14 at 06:42 PM.

vaal... all rounder - get a sensation or Elbe 6wt but throw away the Rio indicator line - it's kahk. You indicated that you have no idea what the action of the rod is you ordered, so if they send you an Elbe with Sage stickers you would be none the wiser.
    Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform

I agree. I don't think an "all purpose" rod exists for any application, let alone a specific river. There are so many different methods to fish, that to find one rod to do it all, simply isnt possible. My yellowfish rod of choice is the Sage 99 4wt. It has the backbone, the correct length, and the ability to cast big flies when I need to. Also has a sensitive tip, and a very good middle section which assists with line control in currents. To me its the best all round GP rod for yellows, but that's my choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Largie Whisperer View Post
    Mario big difference depending on brand everything to do with pulling power and landing big fish in fast currents quickly so a 5wt isn't really the best option imho unless we're talking Jim Teeny. Personally I don't think there is an "all purpose" rod for the Vaal when you're fishing flies that could get you hooked up on a fish in excess of 10kg. I'd rather go 7wt and up for those bad boys but that's just me.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

These characteristics that you mention, are factors of rod design, not necessarily the length, but 10 foot rods are great in almost all areas. In fact, I see very little reason why anyone would go for a 9 foot rod, in any circumstances.
    Quote Originally Posted by BenzoV View Post
    Just on the 10ft rod again, I believe (and stand to be corrected) that the 10ft will give you these characteristics easier. Thicker butt (??) so more power there, and softer tip due to extra length.

Again, just saying. If you hate a 10ft then that's fine.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast