Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: My experience with Fedex and buying a rod from the states

Default My experience with Fedex and buying a rod from the states

Hi all
    I purchased a hardy zenith sintrix 4wt 9ft (older skeleton reelseat) from a reputable dealer in california about a month ago.The rod was shipped to a friend of mine in cali who doesnt know anything about fly fishing.I didnt get it shipped direct to me from the store because my friend said she was coming over in a few weeks.When her trip was cancelled i asked her to post the item.She shipped the item and marked it as a gift.Insured it only for the measly sum of $ 100.Rod cost me $450 which was a great deal.

Three weeks after shipping i started wondering where it was so i called fedex with the tracking number.They said sorry,it cant be found on the system.So i asked my friend to follow up with fedex her side.On further investigation it was last scanned in Dubai en route to Jhb.They have since informed us to fill in the claim forms as the say the parcel has been "lost".WTF!! Im now down 5k without my dream rod.Maybe its in customs,who knows but i doubt ill ever get it.I realise the big blunder which is my fault that it wasnt insured correctly,however i had very poor service from fedex in terms of follow up & backup service.

So if you guys are considering buying a rod online from overseas to save a few grand,maybe reconsider next time...

Oh that's so sad... ouch.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I had a pretty shitty experience too, but not nearly as bad as you. I ordered a rod that arrived fully built and without its tube.

Very irritating. One of the reasons I can warn against is buy local if in doubt or the deal sounds too good.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

I also had a very similar experience once. After a month of not receiving the parcel I started the claim process. Next day I received a notice to collect at the post office, but I don't think Fedex hands over to SAPO when the parcel is in SA unfortunately. I shipped with USPS.

Sorry man
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

I bought some lines from ebay, shipped with USPS, they ended up in Brazil. Somehow they confused South Africa with South America. At least with ebay you have buyer protection so I got refunded all the money.

Ended up buying the lines locally for 30% more, but at least I have them now!

Saflyfish, my experience also now made me very wary of buying rods etc from abroad. Until now I have never had a bad experience with buying abroad, but it showed me there is a risk for sure.

Yours sound bad though......

SH$%^&$T!!!!!!!!!
    you guys are scaring me here. i have a very expensive parcel that was shipped USPS. if i track it on their site, it seems to be going in and out of the miami sorting facility for the last 3 days.
    eish! sleepless nights ahead
    catch and release

Quote Originally Posted by Paul J View Post
    SH$%^&$T!!!!!!!!!
    you guys are scaring me here. i have a very expensive parcel that was shipped USPS. if i track it on their site, it seems to be going in and out of the miami sorting facility for the last 3 days.
    eish! sleepless nights ahead
    Whilst it's in the USA, things should be fine. Its once it hits Customs on our side that you should start worrying

What I picked up on with online tracking from USPS is that they do not show when the parcel leaves the US to SA as they are unable to track enroute or once when it hits Joburg. So if your parcel seems stuck at an area with an international airport its most likely shipped to SA already.
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

July 2, 2014 , 10:59 am
    Arrived at Sort Facility

ISC MIAMI FL (USPS)

Your item has arrived at a sort facility at 10:59 am on July 2, 2014 in ISC MIAMI FL (USPS).

July 2, 2014 , 10:59 am
    Processed Through Sort Facility .
    ISC MIAMI FL (USPS)

July 2, 2014 , 2:03 am
    Depart USPS Sort Facility .
    MIAMI, FL 33112

July 1, 2014 , 7:27 am
    Processed through USPS Sort Facility .
    MIAMI, FL 33112

July 1, 2014 , 1:44 am
    Depart USPS Sort Facility .
    MIAMI, FL 33196

June 30, 2014 , 5:52 pm
    Processed through USPS Sort Facility .
    MIAMI, FL 33196

this is copied from their site.
    to make matters worse, i read some horror stories on the net about usps.
    apparently, our post office has some international competion for "worst state owned enterprise"
    if anybody has some experience in these matters, and can advise me on what my next step should be, it will be greatly appreciated.
    catch and release

ive dealt with usps before they are much more reliable and helpful than fedex

Relax Paul, your parcel will arrive in due time.
    I have never ordered components or stuff from the States only for it to never arrive be it through USPS or Fedex.
    Phone Jhb International Mail Centre at 011 961 6000 and give them the tracking number you received.
    They will then be able to tell you where the parcel is and if it has arrived, they should be able to tell you what the local tracking number is. They will also tell you what the tax amount is that you need to pay.

USPS takes about 10-14 days to arrive at your Post Office if there is no strike, etc.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast