Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Romance of the Cape Kloofs

Default The Romance of the Cape Kloofs

It saddens me to see so little said about the actual beauty of our kloofs, and so little regard or reference given to traditional landmarks, pool names, flora and fauna, etc, etc etc. It seems that all the modern fly fisherman is intent on is the fish and nothing but the fish, and how well or badly he did. I for one would like to see more written about the Kloofs themselves. They are afterall truly magnificent! One needs only to be removed from them for a few years, as I have been, to fully appreciate them for what they really are.

Perhaps us older kloofing fly fishermen are the real culprits here. We who are in the know should be making more mention of known pools and landmarks, and educating those who are new to our Cape streams. I for one was fortunate to have been brought up by a serious Cape stream fisherman, and names like the Blowhole, The Overhang, the Boegoe Ladder, Knights Cave, Archie's Dilemma, Fugel's Fancy, The Necklace Pools, Gog & Magog, Rooiwaterstroom, Ravenscrag Pool, The Swingbridge, The Catwalk, etc, etc, etc became household names to me. A mention of any of these and we knew exactly what was being referred to and where.

How many of you have noticed the Nuwejaarsbloome growing out of the crevices high up on the slopes of the Second Gorge for example? How many have stood admiring the magnificent stand of Aloe Plicatilis (strap-leaved aloe) before Loerklip Pool? Do you have any idea how old they are? Do you have any idea how scarce they are? Do you know that they are in fact endemic to an area no bigger than a couple of hundred meters? How many have seen the disa Uniflora flowering at the tail end of the Krom Lake? If you have, have you ever made mention of it?

These things should not to be taken for granted. Its not just about fish accompanied by our ugly mugshots that make for a memorable day in the kloof! There is far more to be appreciated, far more interest to be taken! Let's not let a very special part of our fly fishing heritage be lost. Most of the pools were named by our forefather fly fishermen, the guys who were involved in exploring and ultimately stocking the kloofs with the trout that we now enjoy the fruits of. The least we can do is make it our business to get to know the pool names and try to keep some of the traditions going.
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 28-08-14 at 09:39 AM.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

The kloofs are indeed a special place. I have no doubt that most guys fishing them do appreciate the beauty even though they may not know the name of the pool they are fishing or the plant that's in bloom. I've watched a breeding pair of fish eagles for many minutes whilst fishing EP, seen what I think was klipspringer and taken many photos not of myself but of the streams and it's creatures. Does it detract from my enjoyment not knowing the scientific name...perhaps...

I know hat the CPS is busy with a renaming of the beats and perhaps your input with known names would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Bence View Post
    I know hat the CPS is busy with a renaming of the beats and perhaps your input with known names would be appreciated.
    Hi

If the beats already have names, why are they being renamed?
    "The best way to shrink a fish is with with a ruler - the best way to grow a fish is with a beer."

Chris, great post! Being new to the Cape Streams and kloofs, I for one cannot wait for the season to open to take it all in...just driving in the area and through is epic in its own right. Now I just have to loose some weight, get fitter to be able to explore and enjoy more.

I feel exactly the same about the Mopani bushveld up in my home town, when you leave it behind, you dont miss it, you pine for it!
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    It saddens me to see so little said about the actual beauty of our kloofs, and so little regard or reference given to traditional landmarks, pool names, flora and fauna, etc, etc etc. It seems that all the modern fly fisherman is intent on is the fish and nothing but the fish, and how well or badly he did. I for one would like to see more written about the Kloofs themselves. They are afterall truly magnificent! One needs only to be removed from them for a few years, as I have been, to fully appreciate them for what they really are.

Perhaps us older kloofing fly fishermen are the real culprits here. We who are in the know should be making more mention of known pools and landmarks, and educating those who are new to our Cape streams. I for one was fortunate to have been brought up by a serious Cape stream fisherman, and names like the Blowhole, The Overhang, the Boegoe Ladder, Knights Cave, Archie's Dilemma, Fugel's Fancy, The Necklace Pools, Gog & Magog, Rooiwaterstroom, Ravenscraig Pool, The Swingbridge, The Catwalk, etc, etc, etc became household names to me. A mention of any of these and we knew exactly what was being referred to and where.

How many of you have noticed the Nuwejaarsbloome growing out of the crevices high up on the slopes of the Second Gorge for example? How many have stood admiring the magnificent stand of Aloe Plicatilis (strap-leaved aloe) before Loerklip Pool? Do you have any idea how old they are? Do you have any idea how scarce they are? Do you know that they are in fact endemic to an area no bigger than a couple of hundred meters? How many have seen the disa Uniflora flowering at the tail end of the Krom Lake? If you have, have you ever made mention of it?

These things should not to be taken for granted. Its not just about fish accompanied by our ugly mugshots that make for a memorable day in the kloof! There is far more to be appreciated, far more interest to be taken! Let's not let a very special part of our fly fishing heritage be lost. Most of the pools were named by our forefather fly fishermen, the guys who were involved in exploring and ultimately stocking the kloofs with the trout that we now enjoy the fruits of. The least we can do is make it our business to get to know the pool names and try to keep some of the traditions going.
    Interesting post Chris. I suspect one of the reasons that people don't mention the location of rare and endangered plants is because plant collectors and poachers doing a google search will find posts like this and go and remove them. I think that one can appreciate the beauty around us without necessarily writing about it or posting pictures but that's obviously a personal thing. I also think that names of pools etc change depending on your own experiences with them. Ravenscrag pool for example I often call Puffadder Pool after an incident some years ago fishing with Sean Mills, when I nearly stepped on a large puffadder while fishing it.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
    Hi

If the beats already have names, why are they being renamed?
    Dont know. I think they want to mark new beats and get away from calling them 1, 2, 3

Aparently that's exactly it. My understanding, is that they will change the beat numbering, to beat naming. I personally think is going to be very confusing.
    I also heard that all past editions of Piscator, are going to be scanned and made available online.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Bence View Post
    Dont know. I think they want to mark new beats and get away from calling them 1, 2, 3
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Interesting post Chris. I suspect one of the reasons that people don't mention the location of rare and endangered plants is because plant collectors and poachers doing a google search will find posts like this and go and remove them. I think that one can appreciate the beauty around us without necessarily writing about it or posting pictures but that's obviously a personal thing. I also think that names of pools etc change depending on your own experiences with them. Ravenscrag pool for example I often call Puffadder Pool after an incident some years ago fishing with Sean Mills, when I nearly stepped on a large puffadder while fishing it.
    Hi Darryl. You make a good point there with regard to plant collectors, so I agree leave exact pinpoint locations out, but I see no reason for not making certain floristic observations part of our piscatorial postings. I for one would for be delighted to read about such things, but then again I am really interested in it....not everyone is. Many are the times that I left my tackle next to the path and scrambled up a ravine or scaled a cliff-face in order to get a closer look at something interesting peeping at me from above.

I guess I am feeling a bit nostalgic and sentimental, truth is I miss my kloofs so damn much! With the upcoming season I look forward to reading your reports, seeing your photos. If my little post inspires some of you to say a bit more, take that extra photo of your streamside observations, I'd be absolutely delighted!

With regards to the names of pools, I think there definitely is space for renaming according to our personal experiences. A few years back Kevin Cox and I renamed a particularly beautiful stream the SOD (Stream of dreams).....and henceforth will it be known as such to the two of us. I see however that the name seems to have caught on by others.

At the end of the day, its all good.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Hi guys

Here are the new Smallblaar beat names:

Molenaars Lower
    Molenaars Upper
    Picnic Beat (SB1)
    Helderwater (SB2)
    Donkergat (SB3)
    Cathedral Beat (SB4)
    Amphitheater Beat (SB5)
    Hotel
    Transport
    Ravens Crag (SB6)

Those are the final names after all members were repeatedly encouraged to contribute.

Cheers
    MC

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Hi guys

Here are the new Smallblaar beat names:

Molenaars Lower
    Molenaars Upper
    Picnic Beat (SB1)
    Helderwater (SB2)
    Donkergat (SB3)
    Cathedral Beat (SB4)
    Amphitheater Beat (SB5)
    Hotel
    Transport
    Ravens Crag (SB6)

Those are the final names after all members were repeatedly encouraged to contribute.

Cheers
    MC
    Personally I think those names are great, far better then just a number!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast