Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Eating Bear

Maybe Nicholas was having a blond moment when he typed in the Incredible String Band? I must admit I was commending you folks more on the likes of Zappa, Hendrix and Traffic. Maybe substitute The Strawbs for 'ISB' as an example of the 'gentler' style of music prevailing and relegate TISB to Div. 2 where they can wage battle for promotion along with the likes of serious intellectuals of the cerebral stature of The Bay City Rollers and The Osmonds?

Don't despair though, Nick, against the latter cerebral oppo, I feel confident ISB'll rebound to the top drawer within a season...

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Maybe Nicholas was having a blond moment when he typed in the Incredible String Band? I must admit I was commending you folks more on the likes of Zappa, Hendrix and Traffic. Maybe substitute The Strawbs for 'ISB' as an example of the 'gentler' style of music prevailing and relegate TISB to Div. 2 where they can wage battle for promotion along with the likes of serious intellectuals of the cerebral stature of The Bay City Rollers and The Osmonds?

Don't despair though, Nick, against the latter cerebral oppo, I feel confident ISB'll rebound to the top drawer within a season...
    "SHOUT LOUDLY AND STAMP FEET"

But find myself agreeing (only a little bit)

Surly Ghillie ask why my wife would be irratated by TISB, it simply boils down to the fact that a song should only last for 3 minutes according to her and not 15 as was the trend in the early 70s. I have tried to re-educate but alas i feel i have failed.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    " it simply boils down to the fact that a song should only last for 3 minutes according to her and not 15 as was the trend in the early 70s. I have tried to re-educate but alas i feel i have failed.
    hahaha...Do you guys remember Pink Floyd's "Shine on you crazy diamond"? Was one of my favorites as a teen, but I don't think I got to listen to it once from start to finish without my mom interfering at some point. It is crazy how we tend to live in the past with our music, I still love Pink Floyd, along with the rest of the older stuff from that era and I find myself slower to accept the new stuff that is being released. My daughter is driving me flipping crazy with her choice of music at the moment.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    "SHOUT LOUDLY AND STAMP FEET"

But find myself agreeing (only a little bit)

Surly Ghillie ask why my wife would be irratated by TISB, it simply boils down to the fact that a song should only last for 3 minutes according to her and not 15 as was the trend in the early 70s. I have tried to re-educate but alas i feel i have failed.
    Good! if it's simply a question of song length, she should love Zappa's C*cksucker's Ball (1' 06").
    Tell her Surly G says she's confused... the 3 minute limit rule was introduced by the establishment for sex, not songs. They're allowed to be as long as you like... refer her to the 4th movement of Beethovens 9th symphony in D minor; Presto, Allegro Assai ... at 23' 40" it even challenges Dylans "Sad-eyed Lady of the Lowlands, or the Mothers of Invention's Mudshark or Gerry Goodman's Tall tree... all vocal pieces that run for close on 30 minutes.

Remeber "Shine on crazy Diamond"?..... I'm playing Dark Side of the Moon as I type this.....

And as fot TISB, their first album, (the one before SHADY GROVE?) was amazing... they just never followed it up & turned out to be one shot artists.

By the way... does anyone out there remember Alan Ginsburg's THE FUGS?
    Now that was a counter-cultural revolutionary gig if ever there was one.

Chris... as for remembering "Shine ON"... I'm playing Dark Side of the moon as I type this
    Last edited by Surly Ghillie; 29-08-07 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Surly Ghillie View Post
    Good! if it's simply a question of song length, she should love Zappa's C*cksucker's Ball (1' 06").
    Tell her Surly G says she's confused... the 3 minute limit rule was introduced by the establishment for sex, not songs. They're allowed to be as long as you like... refer her to the 4th movement of Beethovens 9th symphony in D minor; Presto, Allegro Assai ... at 23' 40" it even challenges Dylans "Sad-eyed Lady of the Lowlands, or the Mothers of Invention's Mudshark or Gerry Goodman's Tall tree... all vocal pieces that run for close on 30 minutes.

Remeber "Shine on crazy Diamond"?..... I'm playing Dark Side of the Moon as I type this.....

And as fot TISB, their first album, (was it SHADY GROVE?) was amazing... they just never followed it up & turned out to be one shot artists.

By the way... does anyone out there remember Alan Ginsburg's THE FUGS?
    Now that was a counter-cultural revolutionary gig if ever there was one.

Chris... as for remembering "Shine ON"... I'm playing Dark Side of the moon as I type this
    I will refer her to your wise words and allow her to respond (are swambos allowed on the forum or do i need to ask the webmasters for for special permission).
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

My kind of guy!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

OK. So this is suppossed to be a fishing fiorum... well before anyone out there gets irate & feels the need to bring this thread down.... I'll steer us back on track. Remember

1. Captain beefheart's Troutmask Replica
    or Coutry Joe and the FISH
    or for that matter Yellow Submarine ("I'd like to be, under the sea, in an octopus's garden in the shade")

surely that's all relevant?

OK. So this is suppossed to be a fishing fiorum... well before anyone out there gets irate & feels the need to bring this thread down.... I'll steer us back on track. Remember

1. Captain beefheart's Troutmask Replica
    or Coutry Joe and the FISH
    or for that matter Yellow Submarine ("I'd like to be, under the sea, in an octopus's garden in the shade")

surely that's all relevant?
    Herman's Hermit(crab)s?

Sorry to degrade your thread Wolf.......but some of this could be relevant

>> 1) This is a picture of an octopus. It has eight testicles.(Kelly age 6)
    >>
    >> 2) Oysters' balls are called pearls. (James age 6)
    >>
    >> 3) If you are surrounded by sea you are an Island. If you don't have sea
    >> all round you, you are in continent. (Wayne age 7)
    >>
    >> 4) Sharks are ugly and mean, and have big teeth, just like Emily
    >> Richardson. She's not my friend no more. (Kylie age 6)
    >>
    >> 5) A dolphin breaths through an @rsehole on the top of its head. (Billy
    >> age
    >> 8)
    >>
    >> 6) My uncle goes out in his boat with pots, and comes back with crabs.
    >> (Millie age 6)
    >>
    >> 7) When ships had sails, they used to use the trade winds to cross the
    >> ocean. Sometimes, when the wind didn't blow, the sailors would whistle to
    >> make the wind come. My brother said they would be better off eating
    >> beans.
    >> (William age 7)
    >>
    >> 8) I like mermaids. They are beautiful, and I like their shiny tails. How
    >> do mermaids get pregnant? (Helen age 6)
    >>
    >> 9) I'm not going to write about the sea. My baby brother is always
    >> screaming and being sick, my Dad keeps shouting at my Mom, and my big
    >> sister has just got pregnant, so I can't think what to write. (Amy age 6)
    >>
    >> 10) Some fish are dangerous. Jellyfish can sting. Electric eels can give
    >> you a shock. They have to live in caves under the sea where I think they
    >> have to plug themselves into chargers. (Christopher age 7)
    >>
    >> 11) When you go swimming in the sea, it is very cold, and it makes my
    >> willy
    >> small. (Kevin age 6)
    >>
    >> 12) Divers have to be safe when they go under the water. Two divers can't
    >> go down alone, so they have to go down on each other. (Becky age 8)
    >>
    >> 13) On holiday my Mom went water skiing. She fell off when she was going
    >> very fast. She says she won't do it again because water shot up her
    >> fanny.
    >> (Julie age 7)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Herman's Hermit(crab)s?
    Bruce Springer, Emerson Lake and Soldier Palmer, Arlo Guppie, Marlin Manson, Smashing Pompanos, Flood Trout and Beers?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast