Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hello

Default Hello

Hi my name is Kevin I have been fishing for years but have just started fly fishing (or should I say at this stage fishing with flies). I have already picked up some valuable information from the site and down the line I hope to be able to contribute back.

Firstly let me say, the vision of weird people trundling around in rubber outfits with funny looking hats and stupid packs all over their bodies creeping through the reeds is undeniably comical. When asked a few years ago if I would like to go on a "trout fly fishing trip" the only consideration I had was how many cases of beer would we need. I was neither interested in throwing strange feathers at fish nor was I interested in toy fishing rods, I mean after all catching tuna in the bay is "real" fishing with real reels and real rods. Anyway years later and staying far from the sea a friend convinced me to give it a go. Let's forget about fishing for a while and just tell you guys how overwhelmed I was with the amount of skill, science, technique (luck) that is required in this sport. To those guys who have never cast a fly rod and have never experienced the thrill of shooting that line to the exact spot you were aiming at. The amount of self-control, balance, rhythm and finesse required to be a fair caster is one of the most rewarding experiences when it is done right (every now and again).

The detail and life likeness of some of the flies is pure artistry. I already have flies I will not fish with they are just too incredible looking. I will eventually become a fly maker.

Having fished the sea, the rivers and the lakes for many different species over far too many years I can only say I am humbled at the skill of you good fly fishermen. This sport is about so much more than reeling in a fish. It can be enjoyed on so many levels. Fortunately I kitted myself out through Frontier Fly Fishing and the advice from them has been excellent and they have saved me from making the usual mistakes when buying your first kit. I have spent hours chatting to them trying to identify where I would like to fit in this sport which has been both fun and entertaining. A few casting lessons from Dean has shorted the learning curve as well. Well at least now I know why I cant do it well yet.

To the guys that contribute through this site, a big thank you, over time I think you forget just how much value you add with your comments, experience and suggestions, these are all greatly appreciated but the thanks is not ofen enough communicated.

The next time you are on a lake, near a dam, at a remote river, or even a farm, look twice at the idiot with the rubber contraceptive suit with the funny hat with the stupid packs all over his body, creeping through the reeds, just wave it will probably be me.

wahahaha, like the intro. welcome

Hi Kevin.. nice creative and humorous intro.
    if you ever feel like doing some fly fishing in the Cape, give us a shout.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Best intro I've seen in ages, nice to meet you Kevin.

What fishing have you been doing, been up to the Vaal yet?

Welcome.
    Sure you will have many more happy hours next to the water.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Thanks mate will definitely make a trip to the Cape as part of my journey.

Quote Originally Posted by edd View Post
    Best intro I've seen in ages, nice to meet you Kevin.

What fishing have you been doing, been up to the Vaal yet?
    Well I was born a million years ago in a small village outside Port Elizabeth called Swartkops. It is situated on the Swartkops River estuary. I grew up fishing for Grunter, Leerie, Cob and Steenbras. When we moved to Johannesburg in 1991 I spent some time on the Durban coast fishing for anything that came our way. I have fished the Vaal once on a social event organised by some mates. Then work got the better of me and with a growing family I spent most of the time in the bush, camping and doing my next best hobby, wildlife photography. sadly my wife of 30 odd years passed away from cancer last year and I ended up with more time than I know what to do with. While cleaning out the spare room I found an old paper back book on Dullstroom and the fly fishing. As luck would have it a mate of mine just returned from a 5 year stint working in Africa and when I popped in to see him he was cleaning a fly rod.

I took that thing outside and watched him cast it a few times and I had a go. Now a couple of grand later here I am, the one hit wonder. Brookwood farm one bite one fish ha ha ha ha. This is just seriously so much fun I am looking forward to reading, learning and practising. I dont care if I become a good fly fisherman or not. It is just fun for now and I have another topic of conversation around the fire at night.

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Welcome Kevin,

Good to know one more fly fisher is truly hooked and on the verge of being a fanatic Trust you will have many great days on the water, sorry about the lost of your wife.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Winelands Fly Fishing View Post
    Welcome Kevin,

Good to know one more fly fisher is truly hooked and on the verge of being a fanatic Trust you will have many great days on the water, sorry about the lost of your wife.

Cheers
    Thanks mate.

Hi Kevin, really sorry to hear about the wife!!
    My wife has been diagnosed with cutaneus tcell lymphoma, she is under going chemo and radiation, been batteling cancer now for 4 years! Thats why i needed a new hobby, just to take a break every now and then, as golf started to frustrate me more than relaxing, luckily we have a nice farm dam 5min from my house with lots of bass!
    Im still very new to fly fishing, but if you want to struggle with me in catching some bass, let me know!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast