Thread: Boron??

Boron, the stuff that makes the future:
    55bfb126c0789d4877af5c004ea11472a6aef2b5_full.jpg

This thread is getting a bit boron, so I will make a joke:
    I knew a chemist, but he was a boron

But, he was moron
    to making bamboo rods
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Guess that ends that then.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Yes please let it end

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Boron, is actually a cheap, graphite. Not as good as carbon fibre, They do this to bring the costs down and sound fancy, but in reality, its a load of bullsh1te.
    Posted 18 hours ago- so that makes it around 4pm yesterday... Long lunch at Forries? (I hope so, else there is no hope...)
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

I've found this thread very interesting actually. Good one Mario! Just looking at the prices that the Winston range of Boron rods are fetching, over R12k a pop all factored in, I'm hardly of the opinion that the move back to Boron fibres is anything less than superior to anything else they've ever tried. When Orvis first experimented with the raw material in the making of their first post fibreglass era rods it was a known fact then already that Boron was the superior product, but very costly....hence the move to carbon fibre which at a lower price appealed to a much wider market. Boron simply fizzled out. I for one am very happy to see its return.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Ha ha ha Kevin... ya sure :biggrin:
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
    Posted 18 hours ago- so that makes it around 4pm yesterday... Long lunch at Forries? (I hope so, else there is no hope...)
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    I for one am very happy to see its return.
    Never went away really - Winston's Boron range is about 15 years old.

Neil mentioned it yesterday, Boron costs 6x more than CRP, so that is probably the main reason.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Never went away really - Winston's Boron range is about 15 years old.

Neil mentioned it yesterday, Boron costs 6x more than CRP, so that is probably the main reason.
    Interesting. I didn't know Winston have been at it so long. I wonder how long before the other leading manufacturers start following suite?
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast