Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The One that got away

looking at the size of the waves in the background, I think your buddy did damn well to get out there ok. Just shows you, there's always those guys that look at everything as a luckypacket. Could lose your life for a pack of sardines or box of flies and some sarmies.
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

My intention was not to start a negative thread or start preaching on safety ,but to share some of the sh3t that happens at our fishing spots as well. There has been a couple of incidents, but the worst was last year when a guy fishing was shot in front of his wife and daugher north of Richards Bay for his cellphone.

I se awareness is the #1 weapon you have too avoid problems. I would be the first to say that I believe in avoiding this kind of conflict at any cost. If you see it comming and can run, RUN like hell.

But with 2 guys comming at you with a knives, wearing a back pack, stripping basket, 2 flyrods even Chuck Norris is going to have a tough time fighting them off. At best you will get stabbed and maytbe survive, at worst stabbed and dumped in the sea. Best have an escape plan...

Our plan was always to use the sea as final escape plan if you get pinned out on the rocks and they get to close

Shocking story, but unfortunately it is the harsh reality of what is happening at many coastal venues these days. I've just heard too many stories like this now, and it starts going beyond isolated incidents.

I applaud your friend for quick reflexes and thinking that saved him from becoming yet another statistic. If he had not been armed, he would have probably drowned, because they would have waited for him.

It might sound very 'grensvegterish' to be packing a gun when you fish alone, but truth be told, it is a very necessary precaution these days. I'm never without mine when I fish alone. You really don't want to get into a close combat situation with these types, so tazer is not the way to go. Rather blast the buggers out of sight from a safe distance!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by rory View Post
    Terrible business.
    If my brittle memory serves me correctly its the knife used by the Gurkhas, Royal Infantry regiment. The knife in the pic?
    You are spot on, it is a serious chopping tool. I have seen a big one used to 'behead' a bull with one stroke. The smaller ones are more for hand-to-hand combat, stabbing/disembowling the opponent - that's what made the Gurkhas feared fighters.

Hey guys!

Ja its flippen bad when fishing alone, and you constantly have to look over your shoulder!!

I always have my Leatherman closeby, but the more I think about it the more I want to take my 7mm Revolver with. To defend yourself with a knife is a skill you have to learn and its close contact, one miss and his knife kills you.

So I think you guys have just convinced me to take my 7mm with.

Rather safe than sorry!!

Although Im one of the few young guys with military training, its doesnt make you invincible - especially if you dont have a gun. Just image fising with a R4 and a moerse 50 round magazine...

Ill make one example and fishing will be very safe in future!!!

Cheers guys - and be safe!!

goes back to the old saying.....for evil to prospur,good men must do nothing...or something along those lines
    or i prefer this one....fight crime...shoot back!!!!!

im glad your mate got out of that one alright.as rols says the sea looks quite rough.glad he didnt injure himself.but atleast with him shooting at these guys he could have maybe got it thru there thick skulls that some people do carry guns and will shoot back.a couple more incidents like this and maybe the atttacks with dwindle....hopefully
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Terrible incident. On a lighter note, it reminds me of a story I heard about the well-known Florida fisherman, Nick Curcione. Nick had been fishing the Miami drainage ditches one evening and was on his way home in his beat-up Volkswagen when he was accosted at a set of traffic lights. The armed gentleman at his window demanded money. Nick submissively reached in under his seat, where his fingers found his trusted 9mm. "And would you believe it," said Nick afterwards: "all I got off that bastard was six dollars and thirty-five cents!"

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    goes back to the old saying.....for evil to prospur,good men must do nothing...or something along those lines
    or i prefer this one....fight crime...shoot back!!!!!

im glad your mate got out of that one alright.as rols says the sea looks quite rough.glad he didnt injure himself.but atleast with him shooting at these guys he could have maybe got it thru there thick skulls that some people do carry guns and will shoot back.a couple more incidents like this and maybe the atttacks with dwindle....hopefully
    Now they might just start arming themselves and shoot first and ask questions later. Or they surprise you, take your firearm, shoot you, dump your body in the sea and they still have a firearm with a couple of rounds to perpetrate another crime!
    It shouldn't have to get to this stage, the autorities need to start doing something.
    Peter

Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going - Jim Ryun

Let's keep it real..

arent they doing exactly this already?these guys just had a knife and not a gun....
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by MarkK View Post
    Terrible incident. On a lighter note, it reminds me of a story I heard about the well-known Florida fisherman, Nick Curcione. Nick had been fishing the Miami drainage ditches one evening and was on his way home in his beat-up Volkswagen when he was accosted at a set of traffic lights. The armed gentleman at his window demanded money. Nick submissively reached in under his seat, where his fingers found his trusted 9mm. "And would you believe it," said Nick afterwards: "all I got off that bastard was six dollars and thirty-five cents!"
    Haha Damn Rednecks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast