Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Garden Route update

Default Garden Route update

Hi there guys

This is a bit of late update on the fishing in the Garden Route.

I spent the festive season on the water in and around the Garden Route, I also guided quite a few guys and all with good results.

The Garden Route is still gripped in the worst drought in over a hundred years which has left most of the estuaries very silted up and very shallow in parts that used to be deep. As per usual the holiday makers stuffed around with their big boats on the small estuaries and I had to contact Cape Nature to come do inspections at one of the estuaries to stop locals and holiday makers from exploiting th resources. Other than that, if the fishing was on it was on in a good way and we had results on flies and on plugs. We used plugs in the spots where one could not fish with the fly effectively.

Most fish was a little bigger than the average estuary Garrick with the average fish being close to 50cm, these boys are good fun on a 6wt!

We also ventured into the Karoo for some yellows but due to the drought the fishing is very hard at the moment. The parts of the river that we fished has lots of weed groth due to the water becoming stagnant for long peroids. There is plenty yellows in the big pools and one can see them rising all over the place, but it was really hard work to hook any as the water is quite muddy in some spots and this makes it difficult for the fish to find the flies as we where fishing streamers.

From Febuary till the end of April the fishing is normally very hot with the Garrick feeding extensively in the estuaries and the Bonnito being in the bay. at the moment the bonnies are there but not feeding ...yet. There has been catches of Yellowtail so its will only be a matter of time before they start to feed and then the fun will be switched on.

If anybody is keen to visit the area, please do contact me and I will gladly assist.

Regards

Dewald Kirsten.

Just some pics of the fish.

Last edited by deewy; 01-02-10 at 06:51 PM.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Sweeeeet
    Cannot wait for next week!!

Ryno

I will be fishing the Garden Route on monday again and will post report back with pics later the week.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Very nice photos! Where was the one right at the top taken? It looks really familiar.

Was fishing the Bitou River at Plett yesterday and caught a tagged leerie. Unfortunately I didn't take down the code as I didnt have a pen handy. I couldve fetched one in the car, but it was extremely hot so I rather released the fish quickly.

My question is this: Does anyone know who might be tagging leeries in our area? Next time I'll be prepared and I'd like to pass on the info.

Thanks

[QUOTE=Was fishing the Bitou River at Plett yesterday and caught a tagged leerie. Unfortunately I didn't take down the code as I didnt have a pen handy. I couldve fetched one in the car, but it was extremely hot so I rather released the fish quickly.

My question is this: Does anyone know who might be tagging leeries in our area? Next time I'll be prepared and I'd like to pass on the info.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Depending on the size of the fish, that leerie could have been tagged far from where it was caught, thats ultimately why fish are tagged. To gather info on their behaviour, migration, growth rate etc.

An interresting point to remember is that all tags have two numbers on them. All you need to do is clip off the top section of the tag that shows the number(see pic), measure the fish and release it. This way the fish will carry the number along with it.

Thanks Conrad, the top part of the tag was most definately already clipped off as the tag was a lot shorter than the one in the picture with only one number. Very useful info.

Got back yesterday from mosselbay. There is plenty of fish in the estuaries at the moment and I got Spinner(Ryno) into his first Leerie ever. They are eating flippers and with the clear water you can see him coming from far to smash it.

I am heading down again in the next week or so, so if anyone want to join just send me a PM.

Willie, that fish was taken in a secret spot...a true gem that I discovered.

ps: will post some shots later on.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by deewy View Post

Willie, that fish was taken in a secret spot...a true gem that I discovered.

ps: will post some shots later on.
    No further explanation necessary, I fully understand!

Looking forward to more photos!

Quote Originally Posted by GrootWillie View Post
    No further explanation necessary, I fully understand!

Looking forward to more photos!
    Its actualy very easy to find if you drive just off the normal road sorry but that is all I can reveal on a forum
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Some pics of Ryno(Spinner) with his first ever Leerie on fly.

The fight

The fish

Just a cool underwater shot of the leerie, my first ever after many tries.

Last edited by deewy; 10-02-10 at 01:03 PM.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast