Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flies: Adams Irrisistable vs DDD

Default Flies: Adams Irrisistable vs DDD

Which was first...the American's Adams Irrisistable or Tom Sutcliffe's DDD?
    They look almost identical.

The Irresistible was first.

However, if you know the storey of the DDD, it was thought process that included many flies; I believe that the AI was one of the flies that was part of the process.

Could some one please get the answer from the horse’s mouth, so to say...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Yeah...had this argument with someone the other day, they were adament that the DDD was first.

I hate spinning deer hair and trimming it though

I dont dig spinning deer hair either. For small stuff like dry flies, I spin the stuff in a dubbing loop, then wrap it onto the shank. Not as bouyant as a spun and packed body, but far more pleasing to my eye, plus its more of a pleasure than an aggravation tying.

Quote Originally Posted by armand View Post
    I dont dig spinning deer hair either. For small stuff like dry flies, I spin the stuff in a dubbing loop, then wrap it onto the shank. Not as bouyant as a spun and packed body, but far more pleasing to my eye, plus its more of a pleasure than an aggravation tying.
    Got any pics of such flies? I'd like to see how you do it!
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Spinning DH in a dubbing loop ?

I know you're an undercover Nazi LB but that is simply sounding super fascist to me

How do you do that, inserting the hairs into thread and rewinding, do you use the magic tool or can you simply spin loops better than I m able to ?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I hate spinning deer hair and trimming it though
    I used to hate it until I found Coastal Deer hair from Bearlodge, which makes spinning an absolute cinch, and switched from sissors to razorblades to do the trimming. My life changed as a result of these 2 things, and now I love tying these sorts of flies.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Spinning DH in a dubbing loop ?

I know you're an undercover Nazi LB but that is simply sounding super fascist to me

How do you do that, inserting the hairs into thread and rewinding, do you use the magic tool or can you simply spin loops better than I m able to ?
    If I am using 8/0 or smaller at the time I will form a loop, but with 6/0 I will just split the thread. The key is to wax it properly.

I just cut a bundle of hairs from the skin, if it is long enough, I will fold it over the blade of the scissors at a point from the butt as long as I want the fibres, then cut through at the folding point, doubling the amount of hair. It is important to trim off the tips at this point, otherwise they will be unbalanced, buggering around with the twisting of the loop. Then just insert the bundle in the loop, and while holding tension on the loop, spread the fibres out, and twist into a brush.

I will tie a fly with this technique sometime and post a pic or three.

The AI was first:

The original Adams was invented in 1922 by Leonard Hallady. Some say that the Irresistible was created by Joe Messinger of Morgantown, West Virginia whilst others say it was Harry Darbee of Livingston manor, New York

Clipped hair bodies originated in the frog hair bugs from Joe Messinger of West Virginia. The first application of this technique to insect imitations for trout was in the 1930s by the famous Catskill's tyer Harry Darbee of Roscoe, New York. Harry and his wife Elsie Darbee combined the high-floating clipped deer hair body of a bass bug with hackles and wings of a trout fly. The original fly had deer hair wings, although other irresistibles have wings of hackle tips (Irresistible Adams) or calf tail (Irresistible Wulff).
    Last edited by Gael; 24-05-07 at 01:12 PM.
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

Quote Originally Posted by armand View Post
    I will tie a fly with this technique sometime and post a pic or three.
    Thanks for the tips, got the basic idea and will be giving it a spin (heh heh heh) tonight or once I've bought some wax, but a pictorial would be nice to have if you get the time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast