Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Salt water line advice

Default Salt water line advice

Can anyone give some advice to a wannabe salty . Going to be getting myself a salty rig soon and wanted some advice on a line to get . I have already found a 8/9 weight rod and a 7/9 weight reel . I will be fishing kzn south and north coast , durban surrounds . Lookin at an intermediate line ? not too sure on what to get , what line would be best - not too brake the bank also not too cheap . please help with some advice
    "My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Can anyone give some advice to a wannabe salty . Going to be getting myself a salty rig soon and wanted some advice on a line to get . I have already found a 8/9 weight rod and a 7/9 weight reel . I will be fishing kzn south and north coast , durban surrounds . Lookin at an intermediate line ? not too sure on what to get , what line would be best - not too brake the bank also not too cheap . please help with some advice
    I use RIO Intermediate in the salt ... have been happy with it. I suggest a 9wt weight forward taper.
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Hi

Also a new saltwater addict and I got a 9wt outfit (stealth bomber + 7-9 stealth GT reel). The line I got along was a Airflow floating running ridge line with a shooting intermediate and shooting floater, both 9wt. I'm really happy with it altough casting these lines takes a bit getting used to if you are used to 3 to 5 wt freshwater casting.

Look at the Jim Teeny SaltWater Series.

The TS350 should be more than matched with your rod (You don't say which rod, or model so I'm guessing here)

It has a 30' shooting head sink tip DI6 with a 75' running line and even a putz can cast it right to the backing. It's also fairly hard wearing and if you're using a line basket you won't have many issues with tangles. Additionally the Salmon coloured running line really helps you track where the line is going, the shooting head is ofcourse, black.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

what conditions are you gonna fish, surf, estuary offshore??

my oppinion:

estuaries - floating and intermediate

surf - intermediate or sinking, floating can work on calm days but normally the waves just do with it what they want and what you don't want, an intermediate or sinker will sink through the wave and will tangle less.

offshore - deep sinking and maybe intermediate

estuaries aren't that deep normally so that's why I recommend floating. The water is normally calm as well.

my best bet would be, get an intermediate as it will basically float when stripped fast and will sink if left I minute or two.

I have always been an airflo fan, but the rio lines are very good as well. Seeing that you in KZN get a warm water line, a coldwater line will just give you headaches.

conrad

where in the western cape are you, I pm'd you awhile ago to see if you want to go fish for some smallies in the breede but you never replied.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by deewy View Post
    what conditions are you gonna fish, surf, estuary offshore??

my oppinion:

estuaries - floating and intermediate

surf - intermediate or sinking, floating can work on calm days but normally the waves just do with it what they want and what you don't want, an intermediate or sinker will sink through the wave and will tangle less.

offshore - deep sinking and maybe intermediate

estuaries aren't that deep normally so that's why I recommend floating. The water is normally calm as well.

my best bet would be, get an intermediate as it will basically float when stripped fast and will sink if left I minute or two.

I have always been an airflo fan, but the rio lines are very good as well. Seeing that you in KZN get a warm water line, a coldwater line will just give you headaches.

conrad

where in the western cape are you, I pm'd you awhile ago to see if you want to go fish for some smallies in the breede but you never replied.
    Hi Deewy

i will be fishing mainly gullys in the surf and some esturies , apparently durban harbour is open to fishing from may 8th on one side from yacht mall so will try there off the sandbanks . I see you have used the aquanova line before and i was thinking as using it for a few months or so to get the hang on things and once i messed that one properly through experince then spending R400 on the better line . i will go for an intermediate and see from there . How did the aquanova work for you ?
    "My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

adrian

I have only fished it on my 6wt in the gulleys as it can get stuffed easily there. I had no problems casting it on my 6wt, but when I had a cast with roll's 8wt fast action I sukkeled my m0er of. If its for learning I would say its an OKAY line but if you get seriously about your saltwater ff then get a decent line, and trust me you will get serious once you see your backing on that 9wt
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Thanks deewy , trust me when i see my backing i will post pics Shad season is coming and hoping to get some off south coast , near margate/uvongo area . Got family there so accomodation is sorted

Hi Adrian,

I got a Sci Angler Striped Bass intermediate in 9wt. I was very happy with it on my first season in the salt, which consisted mainly fishing off the rocks and in the gullies and in the surf.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Hi Adrian,

I got a Sci Angler Striped Bass intermediate in 9wt. I was very happy with it on my first season in the salt, which consisted mainly fishing off the rocks and in the gullies and in the surf.
    hi shaun

isn't that stripped bass line a coldwater line? I might be wrong, if it is how did it do in the warmer water? a friend of mine had a sci anglers(what model I don't know) but it craced up in the cooler wc waters.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast