Thread: De Mond Report Back

Default De Mond Report Back

The alarm went off at 3:35 am and it was only the excitement of fishing De Mond that got me out of bed at that silly hour. Met up with Grant and Dizzy and hit the road to De Mond. Having heard of this venue and the great fishing it can produce the spirits were high hoping to see some of this on our day there. We arrived at a locked gate at about 6:30. The rest of the gang arrived soon after. Izak, Arthur and Chriss. After everyone meeting and having some good K@K praat in the parking lot we all tackled up and head for the estuary. From there the groups split up and some head off to the left of the foot bridge towards the mouth. Arthur had a chase by a very sizable Leerie. Grant, Greg, Dizzy and myself crossed the foot bridge and headed to the left. We were later joined by Liam. That section didn't produce anything so after some debating we all headed off around the bend. On the way there we met up with Peter van As. He landed one Leerie and had quite a few chases. This got our spirits up and took to the water. Arthur (Andrew) was the first to land a Leerie on a popper. Unfortuanitly the camaras were on the bank. Apart from that we didn't see any more action there. After some serious casting practice the guys started retiring to the bank one by one to refresh and for some more K@K praat. Took a break at around 12:00 myself. Casting big flies for 5 hours straight left the middle quite thin. After lunch we concentrated our fishing around the foot bridge and after realizing that the Leeries just ain't keen on a fly today we turned to the mullet. It was at this time that i was very glad i took the advise of Kevin, Darryl etc and packed the bread and Pilchard juice. This really did save the day and brought some action, although not a Leerie but a species none of us there had ever fished for.

I chummed the area around the foot bridge and it was not even 10 min and the mullet was there. I chucked some of the pilchard juice on the water and it was at this time Grant took a few steps back or he would have chummed the water with the lunch he had. . The mullet ravished the bread. I quickly tied on my bread fly with a suspended yarn pattern. The mullet took the suspended fly within seconds. I was surprised at the pull it gave.

I handed out what other bread flies i had and Grant was next to catch his first mullet on fly. He landed the biggest one. Next was Arthur then Liam. We didn't keep count of all the mullet caught, but it was quite a few. The weather threatened with a cold southerly wind and some thick cloud cover. Few drops were felt and it was clear to us that some good rain was not far off. This ended a great day. Hard work, I definitely felt it for a few days and i am sure a few others felt the same. sorry we didn't take that many photos and promise to on our next trip with a group photo as well.

Photos fromt top left

1: Around the Bend
    2: Fishing for Mullet
    3: Grant with his first Mullet on fly

Bottom from left

4: Me with my first Mullet on fly
    5: Arthur with his first Mullet on fly
    6: Peter van As catch, his son posing with the fish
    Last edited by Pierre; 18-12-06 at 09:58 AM.

Hi Pierre

What Pilchard juice do you use ?
    Where can one find it ?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Methos View Post
    Hi Pierre

Where can one find it ?

Cheers
    As far away from me as possible...

I think it was the Pick n Pay no name one?

Quote Originally Posted by Methos View Post
    Hi Pierre

Where can one find it ?

Cheers
    Hi Methos, you can buy it at any super market. Get the plain one, pilchards in saltwater. dont get the flavoured ones.

cheers

Flavoured ones????

No flavour could overpower the original flavour of those things!

euch!!

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Flavoured ones????

No flavour could overpower the original flavour of those things!

euch!!
    Hi Grant, yes you get the chili flavoured ones but then you gonna have flaming ass mullet, maybe they will put a hell of a fight then.

The one we use can be bought at Fred Tucker and is bought in a 500ml bottle- 500mls of pillie juice is not something that one wants to spill after a heavy night out!

Nice report back pierre.....

Will definitely be going back up that way again!

Pierre

Excellent report dude.

Maybe next time we should find a place with big mullet instead of casting our m$%r off for one leerie!