Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Natal Drakensberg-Accommodation Options

Default Natal Drakensberg-Accommodation Options

I am looking for a cottage or house to sleep 8 adults in the berg.

Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced place, must have river fishing nearby, also easy access to hikes, and fairly high up, not down in the foothills

Any suggestions would be appreciated
    "Only when the last tree has died,and the last river has been poisoned,and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed

Quote Originally Posted by sybie99 View Post
    I am looking for a cottage or house to sleep 8 adults in the berg.

Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced place, must have river fishing nearby, also easy access to hikes, and fairly high up, not down in the foothills

Any suggestions would be appreciated
    When are you thinking of going Sybie? I think the KZN wildlife reserves which all match you specs quite well observe a closed season on the rivers during winter.

Central or Southern berg area?
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

No Im looking at December, spending 4 or 5 days in berg with family.

Sims cottage Lotheni, but with kids we need a place with electricity rather, so a bit less rustic

Ideally also with nice still water. Naverone?
    "Only when the last tree has died,and the last river has been poisoned,and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed

Korrie,

Any part, central or south probably. Would also like quick access to some high mountains for trail running outings

Just got back from Lake Naverone. Awesome venue, very friendly staff, wide range of accommodation. Kids play ground with trampoline and tennis court. Easy to very difficult hikes. Wrong time of year for good fishing General store nearby, or Underberg 30min away, and a Spa at the Drakensberg Gardens resort for the ladies.

There are very few places in the Berg who close for any season. There is no official trout fishng seasonal policy, and the places that operate private accommodation on trout rivers will let you fish, otherwise they lose business. December can be a dodgy time for river fishing in the Berg, due to rain and thunderstorms, rivers often run high, but in the more mountainous areas, they run off quickly, so you will always find fishing. I love the upper Bushmans, to be one of the nicest Drakensberg rivers, and some really good challenging and technical fishing. If you can crack the code for the bushmans browns, you can patt yourself on the back.
    Quote Originally Posted by saml View Post
    When are you thinking of going Sybie? I think the KZN wildlife reserves which all match you specs quite well observe a closed season on the rivers during winter.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Naverone is a great call... I spent half my childhood up there as my *** parents own the place... cut my teeth on the stillwater and rivers....
    The dam's can offer some fantastic fishing, and the 7kilometres of river can offer some great challenging fishing, and if the rivers running very high, you can get access to the Lombonja section upstream which is an amazing little alpine style creek with some great fishing in the right conditions... no big fish in it, but hell of a fun to fish on the ultralight approach..

Plenty for the kids and wives to do.. horse riding, tennis,adventuring etc.. Thankfully its all well spaced out so you never feel like you surrounded by screaming kids or whatever... ...

The main Dam can get quite busy during high summer days with folks paddling and swimming or whatever, but is plenty big enough to handle both this and fishing... Concentrate on the inlet in the early morning, and the Dam wall area and bank opposite the reception during high sun hours, and head to the shallows again in the evening....

You are also close enough to numerous Dams that are managed by the Underberg and Himeville Trout club, which as far as I know still accept non members on a daily permit basis, so you could get in touch with them to possibly fish a few of the surrounding dams on one or two of your days..

If you looking to do some hiking and such, there are countless amazing hikes in the area... If you feeling up to it, then head up through Drakensberg Gardens and get access (I think its Parks Board controlled) to the trail to Rhino Peak, which is an incredible hike and really puts you on top of the Drakensberg....

I know it sounds like I'm trying to sell it, but it really is a special place...
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Nepptune View Post
    Naverone is a great call... I spent half my childhood up there as my *** parents own the place... cut my teeth on the stillwater and rivers....
    The dam's can offer some fantastic fishing, and the 7kilometres of river can offer some great challenging fishing, and if the rivers running very high, you can get access to the Lombonja section upstream which is an amazing little alpine style creek with some great fishing in the right conditions... no big fish in it, but hell of a fun to fish on the ultralight approach..

Plenty for the kids and wives to do.. horse riding, tennis,adventuring etc.. Thankfully its all well spaced out so you never feel like you surrounded by screaming kids or whatever... ...

The main Dam can get quite busy during high summer days with folks paddling and swimming or whatever, but is plenty big enough to handle both this and fishing... Concentrate on the inlet in the early morning, and the Dam wall area and bank opposite the reception during high sun hours, and head to the shallows again in the evening....

You are also close enough to numerous Dams that are managed by the Underberg and Himeville Trout club, which as far as I know still accept non members on a daily permit basis, so you could get in touch with them to possibly fish a few of the surrounding dams on one or two of your days..

If you looking to do some hiking and such, there are countless amazing hikes in the area... If you feeling up to it, then head up through Drakensberg Gardens and get access (I think its Parks Board controlled) to the trail to Rhino Peak, which is an incredible hike and really puts you on top of the Drakensberg....

I know it sounds like I'm trying to sell it, but it really is a special place...
    Very good advice.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Nepptune View Post

Couldn't agree more, I was up there in middle December and had a great time.

Fishing was good and lots to do for the wife and kids. Lets also not forget it is one of the most beautiful places the Berg has to offer!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast