Thread: shilton cr3 on 7wt

Default shilton cr3 on 7wt

I need to get a new reel for my 7wt, at the moment I have an shilton ck3 on it but it just doesn't seem right for some reason, (the reels seems a bit small for the rod and line). I have shilton cr3's on my 5wt's and to me i think cr3 should be fine for a 7wt, the cr3 is 5g lighter than the ck3, but the cr3 is larger is diameter. I am thinking of getting a cr3 for my 7wt and was wondering if anyone has tried this before, should it be ok?

Quote Originally Posted by mark.f View Post
    I need to get a new reel for my 7wt, at the moment I have an shilton ck3 on it but it just doesn't seem right for some reason, (the reels seems a bit small for the rod and line). I have shilton cr3's on my 5wt's and to me i think cr3 should be fine for a 7wt, the cr3 is 5g lighter than the ck3, but the cr3 is larger is diameter. I am thinking of getting a cr3 for my 7wt and was wondering if anyone has tried this before, should it be ok?
    Since you have a CR3 already, loaded with a 5wt line, why not put it on your 7wt and see if it comes close to balancing. The same reel, with a 7wt line *may* be a little heavier, but only a little.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

I have got an idea but just to double check how do you check for for rod and reel balancing?

Quote Originally Posted by mark.f View Post
    I have got an idea but just to double check how do you check for for rod and reel balancing?
    Fit the reel loaded with line & backing to the rod.

Run fly line through the rod eyes and have a "normal" amount of flyline out past the tip.
    (Normal depends - for stream work, this would be maybe 5m)
    The rod+reel balance point should be in the cork section - ideally under where you place your thumb.

For shorter rods, the placement is not as critical as for longer rods which are used for nymphing and will be fished with an outstretched arm all day.
    For the longer rods, it is definitely a better idea to have a balanced (or slightly reel heavy) rod than a tip heavy one.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

I will give it a try tonight, thanks for the advice and help.

Hi Mark f,

The most important question here is, what you are going to be using the 7wt outfit for, what line(floating sinking etc) will you be using, fresh or saltwater.

The CR3 takes a 6wt floater and about 100m #20 backing, so you will probably only get 80-90m of #20 dacron on it with a 7wt floater. The drag is easily up to anything you would throw a 7wt at, so no problem there.
    The cr3 is part of our freshwater range of reels.
    It might prove a little light to balance a 7wt outfit (it is designed for 5-6wt outfits), If you are thinking of purchasing another reel the sl5 would be a brilliant option and would cover you anywhere you choose to throw a 7wt, fresh or salt.

let me know if you need any other info. info@shiltonreels.com

chat later,

Chad.

i need to get 2, the one reel floating line and the other fast intermediate. I mostly be targeting LM yellows and bass with with them. I have thought of getting SL5's but the CR3's look so much better in my opinion. Maybe I just need to look at the SL5 again.

Hi Mark,

If it was only about looks, i think I would want to put a CR3 on my 12wt. lol

The sl5 will really be a great option, and with the sl5 your 7 wt outfit will also become your goto saltwater estuary and light saltwater outfit, and a light tiger outfit.
    largies, bass and barbel will be absolutley no problem.

Give me a shout if you need more info. info@shiltonreels.com

regards,

Chad.