Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Stillwater streamers

Bugger Streamer copy.jpg

This is a pattern that has brought huge success over the years.
    It's subtle enough to get attention and really attracts the bigger fish.

Best fished on an intermediate or slow sinker around the weeds or structure.
    Also excellent through old river channels and the like.

I add a little cone for weight but the deer hair counter balances that so you have an almost neutral / slightly heavy fly.
    Lots of movement with rabbit and marabou and subtle bling with the flash.

Olive/yellow is my go to colour.

All black and purple/black works well too.

Just as a side note, I fished this pattern heavily weighted this last season in NZ on the rivers and fish moved halfway across open water to hammer it. Pretty exciting to see the natural predatory instincts kick in.

Try a couple....

Great stuff guys, thanks SO much for the feedback thus far.

Quick question for the stillwater gurus. After seeing the Jiggy Bugger I was wondering about weight distribution on these flies. Mostly you'd tie them without any weight (except for a bead if any) and fish them on sinkers and intermediates right??
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by The Largie Whisperer View Post
    Hi Korrie I used to have Goldilocks too!
    and now, what is left, only the locks or only the Gold?
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Great stuff guys, thanks SO much for the feedback thus far.

Quick question for the stillwater gurus. After seeing the Jiggy Bugger I was wondering about weight distribution on these flies. Mostly you'd tie them without any weight (except for a bead if any) and fish them on sinkers and intermediates right??
    I fish most of my flies with a bead head, and from time to time when fishing sinkers and inters I will switch to unweighted. If conditions allow and fish are in the shallows(anything from around 3/4m deep) I will fish with a floating line 100% of the time. I love to fish towards structure, especially when you have fish moving along ledges and in the shallows. Having a trout create a bow wave as they chase your fly through shallow water just can't be beaten.

I really am not a big fan of fishing sinking lines and will only do it when there is no other option. I try to do most of my fishing early winter/autumn and late winter/spring when you generally will find fish in the shallower water which means floating lines. I am not a big fan of fishing in the middle of Winter, I don't find the fishing to be as good.
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post
    I fish most of my flies with a bead head, and from time to time when fishing sinkers and inters I will switch to unweighted. If conditions allow and fish are in the shallows(anything from around 3/4m deep) I will fish with a floating line 100% of the time. I love to fish towards structure, especially when you have fish moving along ledges and in the shallows. Having a trout create a bow wave as they chase your fly through shallow water just can't be beaten.

I really am not a big fan of fishing sinking lines and will only do it when there is no other option. I try to do most of my fishing early winter/autumn and late winter/spring when you generally will find fish in the shallower water which means floating lines. I am not a big fan of fishing in the middle of Winter, I don't find the fishing to be as good.
    Thanks, great feedback, appreciate it a lot.

I'm in the fortunate position to be about an hour away from all 3 places, so have the luxury to choose good days to go and fish.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I agree with Matt, I mostly fish floater with some weight - It is usually a bead head with no lead. It does create a nice action in the water on the retrieve. Or an unweighted or lightly weighted patterns on a uniform sink interline if the fish are a bit deeper.

I have honestly never had massive success on jig style flies, more so on big buzzers.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    and now, what is left, only the locks or only the Gold?
    The gold to cover the gray..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3